Rachel Brosnahan Bio: In Her Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
Rachel Brosnahan (born Dec. 15, 1990) is an American actress, best known for her roles in the 2013 film Beautiful Creatures, in the Netflix political drama series House of Cards and in the television series Manhattan.
In January 2018, Brosnahan won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Television Series — Musical or Comedy for her role in the Amazon Video original show The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. She also won a Critics’ Choice Award.
Rachel Brosnahan Bio: Age, Early Life, Kate Spade
Brosnahan (age: 27) was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to a father who worked in children’s publishing and a British mother named Carol. She grew up in Highland Park, Illinois, since she was four years old. Brosnahan is the oldest of three, and has brother and sister. Handbag designer Kate Spade is her aunt.
Although her family was never religious, Brosnahan grew up around several Jewish people.
“I’ve spent more time in a temple than I ever have in a church,” she once said. “I spent so many Shabbat dinners with friends. I’ve probably been to 150 bar mitzvahs.”
Brosnahan has described herself as a tomboy and attended Highland Park High School, where she was on the wrestling team and was also a snowboarding teacher. As a teenager, she later attended Broadway Bootcamp, an acting camp.
“I think I always wanted to act, but I was never an incredibly outgoing kid,” Brosnahan told uinterview exclusively. “I feel like a lot of actor friends of mine were dancing, singing and performing when they were really young, and I was a little bit shy. I did do that kind of thing but I didn’t love people watching it.”
Brosnahan also said she is an avid reader.
“I read furiously, everything and anything I could get my hands on, and I think that awakened a love for using my imagination that made me want to become an actor.”
Brosnahan also added she believed for a while in junior high that she could sing but then realized she can’t.
After graduating from Highland Park in 2008, Brosnahan attended New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, from which she graduated in 2012.
Rachel Brosnahan Bio: House Of Cards And Subsequent Career
Brosnahan landed her first film role in the Michael Bay-produced horror flick The Unborn while she was still a high school student. Throughout college, she appeared in single episodes of TV series like The Good Wife, Grey’s Anatomy, Gossip Girl and In Treatment.
Upon graduating from college, Brosnahan gained larger, recurring roles in series like The Blacklist (2014) and House of Cards (2013-15). For the latter, she received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series in 2015 for playing a prostitute named Rachel. She also portrayed Abby Isaacs in the short-lived WGN America series Manhattan (2014-15).
Brosnahan also played a major character in Woody Allen’s 2016 Amazon comedic miniseries Crisis in Six Scenes, which only lasted one season (six episodes).
The series Brosnahan currently stars in, the Amazon comedy The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, premiered in March 2017, although only the pilot was released. The remainder of the first season was released in November 2017. In the series, she plays a 1950s Jewish housewife living in New York City who discovers she has a knack for stand-up comedy. The show was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of Gilmore Girls.
Brosnahan has also appeared onstage in theater productions like Up (2009), The Big Knife (2013) (her Broadway debut) and Othello (2016).
Rachel Brosnahan Bio: Interview On ‘Crisis In Six Scenes’
In September 2016, Brosnahan sat down with uinterview for an exclusive interview about Allen’s Crisis in Six Scenes.
Brosnahan appeared in four episodes of the 1960s-set comedic miniseries. She played a conservative well-educated young woman named Ellie, who is engaged to John Magaro‘s character Alan.
Brosnahan explained that she had to get a new hairdo for the role, a process she admitted was more complicated than initially apparent.
“We were trying to find the right hair color for this character, and I had sat in the salon for 11 hours while they lifted the color of my hair and made it this 60s kind of golden blond color, very single toned, and it was almost right, but on camera it looked a little funny,” Brosnahan told uInterview.
In the end, she simply wore a wig.
Brosnahan also praised Allen for his first foray into television.
“I feel like I always become incredibly inarticulate when I try and talk about what this experience was like. Zero chill is a pretty good phrasing,” said Brosnahan, adding, “It was a dream. I mean, I grew up watching Woody Allen movies, my parents love Woody Allen movies. Annie Hall is a favorite of mine, and to be able to work with him is truly a dream I didn’t even know I had. It was never even on my radar.”
The series, which also stars Allen and Miley Cyrus, features several well-known guest actors like Lewis Black, Christine Ebersole, Michael Rapaport and David Harbour.
Rachel Brosnahan: Boyfriends, Social Media Handles, Net Worth, Quotes
Brosnahan is reportedly 5-foot-1 and weighs 99 pounds. Her Twitter handle is @RachelBros, and her Instagram handle is @rachelbrosnahan.
Her net worth is estimated at $3 million.
Though it has not been confirmed, Brosnahan was rumored to at one point be dating actor Kyle Gallner, who is know for his roles in television series like Veronica Mars, Smallville, and CSI:NY.
“Drama was all I ever wanted to do. There was no plan B!”
“I was under the false impression that I could sing in high school, so I did a lot of musical stuff. I can’t sing or dance, so that was entertaining for everyone.”
“No one should ever be forced to choose between food and education, or medicine and shelter when they don’t have the resources. It’s very unfair.”
Leave a comment
Rachel Brosnahan News
- ‘Crisis in Six Scenes’ Lead Rachel Brosnahan On Her Character, Woody Allen & Miley Cyrus [Video Exclusive]
- 2020 Emmy Nominations: Netflix Sets New Record [Full List Here]
- Golden Globes 2020 Winners List: ‘1917,’ ‘Succession,’ ‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ Win Top Honors
- Golden Globe 2020 Nominations: ‘The Irishman’ & ‘The Joker’ Lead [Full Nominees List]
- Emmys 2019: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Wins Best Drama Series, ‘Fleabag’ Wins Best Comedy [FULL WINNERS LIST]
- 2019 Emmy Award Nominations Announced: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Leads With 137 Nominations
- SAG Awards 2019: Emily Blunt & Rami Malek Win Top Acting Prizes [Full Winners List]
- Golden Globes 2019: Rami Malek Wins Best Actor For ‘Bohemian Rhapsody,’ Glenn Close Wins For ‘The Wife’ [FULL WINNERS LIST]
- SAG Awards 2019: ‘A Star Is Born’ Leads With 4 Nominations [COMPLETE LIST]
- Golden Globes 2019 Nominations: ‘Vice’ & ‘A Star Is Born’ Lead, Black Panther & Crazy Rich Asians Get Nods [FULL LIST]
- Emmys 2018 Highlights: Colin Jost & Michael Che Tackle Diversity, ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, ‘Game Of Thrones’ Win Top Awards [FULL WINNERS LIST]
- Emmy Nominations 2018: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Leads With 22 Nods, Netflix Series Also Dominate [COMPLETE LIST]
- Kate Spade Found Dead Of An Apparent Suicide At 55
- Golden Globes 2018: ‘Lady Bird,’ ‘Big Little Lies,’ ‘Three Billboards’ Take Top Awards [COMPLETE WINNERS LIST]
- Golden Globes 2018: What Time Does It Start? Who’s Nominated? [FULL NOMINATION LIST]
- Golden Globes 2018 Nominations Announced: ‘The Shape Of Water,’ ‘Big Little Lies’ Lead [FULL LIST]
- Elle Fanning & Jude Law Spotted Filming New Woody Allen Film
- ‘Crisis in Six Scenes’ Star, John Magaro, Talks Character And Working With Woody Allen & Miley Cyrus
- Emmys 2015 Results: ‘Game Of Thrones’ & ‘Veep’ Big Winners At 2015 Award Ceremony
- Emmy Nominations 2015: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Leads Nods With 24 [COMPLETE LIST]
- Elizabeth Norment, 'House Of Cards' Actress, Dies At Age 61
- 'House Of Cards' Second Season Release Date Revealed
- Billy Gilman Earns Top Spot On Team Adam In ‘The Voice’ Battle [VIDEO]