'Green Lantern' Tops Box Office, Knocks Out 'Super 8'
The Ryan Reynolds' starrer Green Lantern knocked JJ Abrams’ Super 8 out of the top spot this week, grossing $52.7 million on its opening weekend. However, Super 8 didn’t go too far down, taking the number two spot with $21.3 million. Another new entrant to make the top five this weekend was the Jim Carrey comedy, Mr. Popper’s Penguins, which grossed $18.2 million. X-Men: First Class saw a big drop in numbers this weekend, going from second place to fourth, earning only $11.5 million. The Hangover Part II also fell two places to number five, making $9.6 million. Following suit was the animated Kung Fu Panda 2, which fell from the number four spot to number six, earning $8.7 million. The sleeper hit Bridesmaids came in seventh with $7.5 million. Johnny Depp's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides dropped to eighth place, grossing only $6.2 million, while Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris made $5.2 million in ninth place. Bringing up the rear was Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer, which grossed $2.2 million.
- Green Lantern, $52.7m; $52.7m; New
- Super 8, $21.3m; $72.8m; 1
- Mr. Popper’s Penguins, $18.2m; $18.2m; New
- X-Men: First Class, $11.5m; $119.9; 2
- The Hangover Part II, $9.6m; $232.7m; 3
- Kung Fu Panda 2, $8.7m; $143.3m; 4
- Bridesmaids, $7.5m; $136.8m; 6
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, $6.2m; $220.3m; 5
- Midnight in Paris, $5.2m; $21.8m; 8
- Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer, $2.2m; $11.2m; 7