The Royal Bahamas Police Force released the results of their investigation into the deaths of three Americans vacationing at a Sandals Resorts location on Great Exuma island. They’ve ruled that the tourists died “as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning.”

The three individuals were found unresponsive in two different rooms on May 6, and investigators were stumped for weeks as to what could have occurred. A fourth victim, Donnis Chiarella, survived after she was airlifted to a Florida hospital. Foul play is not suspected, officials say.

Sandals Bahamas Deaths

Chiarella’s husband, Vincent Chiarella, was one of the victims who passed away. Married couple Michael Phillips and Robbie Phillips also died from the incident. A Sandals spokesperson said they cooperated with authorities in the investigation, and that the company will be installing carbon monoxide detectors “throughout the portfolio” of resorts.

Carbon monoxide detectors are a good thing to have in your rooms as the deadly gas is usually odorless, and is produced by combustion like through a car engine running for example. Symptoms for carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness and weakness.

Read more about: