Meghan Markle Says She’s ‘Not Ok’ After Attacks From The Press
An interview with Meghan Markle from the upcoming documentary, Harry and Meghan: An African Journey was released on Friday on the UK.’s ITV.
Markle, interviewed by Tom Bradby, was asked about the impact of the pressure she has been under, in regard to her mental and physical health. “Look any woman, especially when they’re pregnant, you’re really vulnerable, and so that was made really challenging and then when you have a newborn, you know… and especially as a woman, it’s really, it’s a lot, so you add this on top of just trying to be a new mom or trying to be a newlywed, it’s, um,” she said with a pause. “Yeah, well I guess… and also thank you for asking because not many people have asked if I’m ok, but it’s, uh, it’s a very real thing to be going through behind the scenes.”
“And the answer is? Would it be fair to say, ‘Not really ok,’ as in it’s really been a struggle?” Bradby asked. “Yes,” Markle responded.
Markle and Prince Harry have spent the last few months facing legal battles with British publications and facing scrutiny from the press. Earlier this month, The Duke of Sussex issued a statement in defense of his wife.
“My wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences–a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son,” the statement read. “For these select media this is a game, and one that we have been unwilling to play from the start. I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in.”
While they both have since taken legal action against multiple British publications, the Duchess of Sussex was given the opportunity to share her side of the story.
The documentary is set to be released October 23 at 10 p.m ET. on ABC.