Karen Olivo Won’t Return To Broadway’s ‘Moulin Rouge!’ Over Scott Rudin Abuse Allegations
When Broadway returns this fall, Karen Olivo will not return to her Tony-nominated role of Satine in Moulin Rouge!, following Broadway’s silence to accusations made against producer Scott Rudin last week.
In a Wednesday Instagram video, Olivo spoke out on why she will not be returning to the musical once Broadway reopens.
“Social justice is more important than being a sparkling diamond,” she said. “Building a better industry for all my students is more important than me putting money in my pockets.”
“The silence about Scott Rudin, unacceptable! Unacceptable. That’s the easy one, y’all. That’s a monster. That should be a no-brainer. Those of you who say you’re scared, what are you afraid of? Shouldn’t you be more afraid of not saying something and more people getting hurt,” she continued.
“I don’t need to be on a stage,” she added. “I need to be out here. People are more important than your pocketbook.”
Olivo’s video came a day after Actors Equity, the American Federation of Musicians Local 802 and SAG-AFTRA, the three main unions for performers, released a statement regarding Rudin’s accusations. “Every worker deserves to do their job in an environment free of harassment of any king, whether that harassment creates a toxic workplace or, certainly in the case of sexual harassment, when that behavior is also against the law,” the statement said.
“I want a theater industry that matches my integrity,” Olivo said. “C’mon, y’all, why don’t we go make it? It’s not here obviously.”