Justin Townes Earle’s cause of death was finally made public by his family and the Tennessee Department of Health this Tuesday, three months after his passing.

According to the DoH report, Earle, the sone of country singer Steve Earl, died of accidental “acute combined drug toxicity” caused by fentanyl-laced cocaine. In light of the news, his family made a Facebook post to warn followers and fans of the danger of addiction and laced drugs.

Three months after we lost Justin, the medical examiner has concluded that the cause of his death was an accidental drug…

Posted by Justin Townes Earle on Tuesday, December 1, 2020

“Even though Justin was very outspoken and concerned about the opioid epidemic and the dangers of the “legal” drugs fed by the pharmaceutical companies, he became the victim of a deadly dose of fentanyl,” his family wrote in the post. “Illicit drugs laced with fentanyl are causing an enormous rise in overdoses, turning cocaine usage into an even deadlier habit. It only takes a few salt sized granules of fentanyl to cause an overdose. And in most cases, happens so fast that intervention likely could not reverse it.”

Furthermore, they wrote that alcohol had been found in the singer’s system at the time of his death, and added a note about the intoxicant’s unique dangers.

“Although legal, and available nearly everywhere, alcohol is a psychoactive, neurotoxic addictive narcotic,” his family wrote. “The effects of continual, long term alcohol intake is deadly. Addiction is a disease and there are many avenues and treatments to become and stay free from alcohol and drug usage.”

The star had reportedly been addicted to drugs and alcohol since the age of 12.

The post, and its warnings, were bookmarked by well wishes for Earle’s fans.

“If you or a loved one are struggling with substance addiction please know that you’re not alone and reach out for help,” they wrote. “Don’t lose hope. With love and health, Team JTE”

In the post’s comments, hundreds of fans mourned Earle’s death, as well as the tragic way in which he – and dozens of other young stars – have died.

“Isn’t that how Prince AND Tom Petty went too?!?” one fan asked. “Let’s get rid of that shit! It’s killing music. (And so many others senselessly, I’m sure)”

“I’m so sorry,” another said. “Fentanyl has been weaponized in this country. It’s pernicious. It is what also caused the death of young musician Gustav Ahr, aka Lil Peep, three years ago. I hope it can be removed from the drug supply one day, so other families aren’t left grieving losses like this. It’s just a senseless tragedy. My sincere condolences.”

Read more about:

Leave a comment