'Avatar' Wins Sixth Week – Nears All-Time Record
James Cameron‘s Avatar captured the no. 1 slot for the sixth-straight weekend with $36 million, beating out the thriller Legion, starring Paul Bettany as a fallen angel, which brought in $18.2 million. Avatar‘s worldwide haul has now reached $1.841 billion, just shy of the Titanic‘s $1.843 billion total, which currently holds the record for highest-grossing film ever. Last week, Avatar won best drama and best director honors at the Golden Globes. The Book of Eli, starring Denzel Washington, came in third in its second week, with $17 million while Extraordinary Measures, featuring Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser, came in a lackluster 7th in its debut weekend.
1. Avatar, $36 million
2. Legion, $18.2 million
3. The Book of Eli, $17 million
A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
4. Tooth Fairy, $14.5 million
5. The Lovely Bones, $8.8 million
6. Sherlock Holmes, $7.1 million
7. Extraordinary Measures, $7 million
8. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, $6.5 million
9. It’s Complicated, $6.2 million
10. The Spy Next Door, $4.8 million
Leave a comment
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!