Baseball Pays Tribute To Jackie Robinson
Sunday marked the 65th anniversary of the day that Jackie Robinson (January 31, 1919 — October 24, 1972) entered Major League Baseball to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers and broke the game's racial barrier on April 15, 1947.
To honor Jackie Robinson Day, all players in the league wore No. 42, Robinson's number, on April 15, the day that Robinson officially entered the game. This year Robinson's widow Rachel Robinson and his daughter Sharon Robinson attended a pre-game tribute to Hall-of-Famer Robinson at the new Yankees Stadium before the Yankees took on and beat the Angels Sunday night.
"Here we are concerned with a decreasing number of African-Americans [in baseball], so it's very important to bring back up the history and to think about how much we went through to get a fully integrated major league baseball," Sharon said, according to the New York Daily News. "So it does resonate."
The NBA players felt similarly. "It's just good to be able to wear the number and to have guys recognize and understand that we wouldn't be here without him," said Yankees ace CC Sabathia.
Robinson was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962. His uniform number, 42, was retired across the major league in 1997.
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Will Ferrell And Chirstina Applegate Film ‘Anchorman: The Legend Continues’
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV