On Thursday, former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight was sentenced to 28 years in prison for the death of a man during a hit-and-run on the set of the movie Straight Outta Compton.

Earlier this month, Knight pleaded no contest to manslaughter for the death of Terry Carter. Knight has been facing life in prison for Carter’s death and a count of attempted murder in the case of Cle “Bone” Sloan, who was found injured at the scene after Knight had allegedly struck him with his truck. 

Knight was also charged with one count of hit-and-run.

A video of the incident showed Knight pulling into the entrance of a Compton restaurant close to where the movie was being filmed in 2015. The video continues with Knight being approached by Sloan and a security guard from his car, then suddenly Knight is seen backing his truck up and knocking Sloan. Knight is then seen zooming forward, running over Sloan for the second time and then running over Carter. 

Carter was later pronounced dead. In court on Thursday, Carter’s family members made an emotional victim impact statement. 

“He never got out of the car, to see if my uncle was okay. This has to be in my family forever. Nothing will be the same. Not even an apology, condolences have been made to my family,” Carter’s niece tearfully stated.


Knight was said to be expressionless as Carter’s family members voiced their anger toward him, one even saying that they were haunted by the video of the incident. 

In California, the maximum penalty for voluntary manslaughter is 11 years in prison, but Knight’s sentence was doubled because of prior convictions under the state’s three-strikes law. 

Knight faced another five years because the conviction is for a serious and violent felony and one additional year for a deadly weapon allegation for the truck that he used at the scene.

Over the years the former Death Row Records co-founder has frequently been in headlines involved with run-ins with the law. 

Knight has also been tied with driving the car in which rapper Tupac Shakur was shot and killed in Las Vegas in 1996, though he has never been charged in that case. Shortly after the incident, Knight spent several years in prison for violating his parole on assault and weapon convictions. 

Read more about: