23 Celebrities Who Took A Break From Social Media
Chrissy Teigen announced this week that she’s taking a break from Twitter. The following 22 other celebrities also have done the same in the past and shared why they chose to leave.
1) Chrissy Teigen announced on March 24 that she was leaving Twitter, explaining that the platform ““no longer serves me as positively as it serves me negatively, and I think that’s the right time to call something.” She continued, “My life goal is to make people happy. The pain I feel when I don’t is too much for me. I’ve always been portrayed as the strong clap back girl but I’m just not.” She added that she appreciates the support from her followers.
2) Alec Baldwin left Twitter around the time people were alleging that his wife, Hilaria, made up her Spanish background. “Twitter is like a party where everyone is screaming. Not much of a party. Goodbye for now,” he tweeted on Jan. 18.
3) Lorde has remained mostly absent from social media since mid-2018. “Part of what made me peace out on social media, apart from feeling like I was losing my free will, was the massive amounts of stress I was feeling about our planet, about systemic racism, and about police brutality in this country,” she told Interview magazine.
4) Lizzo addressed troll on Twitter in January 2020. “Yeah I can’t do this Twitter s— no more.. too many trolls…,” she said on Twitter. She also wrote on her Instagram story, “I just want to say that I, you know, I just took a DNA test and it turns out I quit Twitter. I quit Twitter. I’m off it. All social media is not created equal.”
“I would love to be on Twitter ’cause I could connect with you people who positively support me… not to mention spreading my own positive messages,” she continued. “But now I’ve gotten to a point where I’m not just dealing with Internet bullies, I’m dealing with seeing a lot of negativity on the Internet dealing with everyone,” she continued.
Lizzo’s account is currently run by her management.
5) Ed Sheeran’s latest social media break happened in Dec. 2019. Previously, he took breaks in 2015 and 2017. “Just gonna take a breather to travel, write and read,” he said, adding that he would return “with some new music when the time is right and I’ve lived a little more to actually have something to write about.”
6) Cardi B deleted her twitter account in 2019 after facing backlash for winning best rap album at the Grammys. This only lasted two days though, and she returned to announce a new song with Bruno Mars.
7) Kanye West quit Twitter and Instagram in 2018 following a series of tweets and a pro-Trump rant. “Kanye got to the point where he realized his rants were becoming unhealthy. This is why he deleted his account,” a source told People. After this exit, he returned a week later and his account in currently active.
8) Ruby Rose faced backlash for her gender identity after being cast as Batwoman in 2018. “Where on earth did ‘Ruby is not a lesbian therefore she can’t be batwoman’ come from — has to be the funniest most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. I came out at 12? And have for the past 5 years had to deal with ‘she’s too gay’ how do y’all flip it like that? I didn’t change. I wish we would all support each other and our journeys,” she tweeted before deleting her account. Currently, Rose’s Instagram comments are activated, but she is still not on Twitter.
9) Ariana Grande turned off her Instagram comments after Pete Davidson deleted his Instagram. “The energy u put out is exactly what u get back, please create a beautiful life for yourselves,” she tweeted at the time.
A fan tweeted about her return to Snapchat, to which Grande replied, “i’m prolly gonna post on der for a little while & take a breather from twitter & ig for a little. just sometimes can’t help but bump into some negative s— that really can bum u out and it’s not worth it honestly. promised i’d always tell you. i love u sm ! be well & happy.” Grande’s hiatus lasted two months.
10) Pete Davidson deleted his Instagram after posting “I really don’t want to be on this earth anymore. I’m doing my best to stay here for you but i actually don’t know how much longer i can last. All i’ve ever tried to do was help people. Just remember i told you so.”
Previous to that, he deleted all the photos on his account and wrote, “No there’s nothing wrong … I just don’t wanna be on Instagram anymore. Or on any social media platform,” he wrote. “The internet is an evil place and it doesn’t make me feel good … I love you all and I’m sure I’ll be back at some point. your neighborhood goon, Pete.”
Davidson is ok now, but still has not returned to Instagram.
11) Kelly Marie Tran received a lot of hate when Star Wars fans decided they did not like her character, Rose, in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Her Instagram account still exists, but does not have any posts on it.
12) Millie Bobby Brown left Twitter in 2018 after fans attributed her to a homophobic meme. brown had previously shown her support for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. She made a brief reappearance in 2019, tweeting “hi. i missed u.”
13) Cheryl Burke stepped back from social media in March 2018, saying that she was going through some things. “I’m dealing with some personal things right now and need to take a break from social media,” wrote Burke. She later explained that she was mourning her father at the time. She eventually returned to social media.
14) Amber Rose announced in 2019 that she would be taking a break from social media. “Hey guys, I just want to let everyone know that I’m taking the rest of the year off of social media,” Rose said “So I’ll have Joe, my assistant, post some cool stuff for me, and I’ll see you in the new year.” She returned after two weeks.
15) Kendall Jenner deleted her Instagram account suddenly in 2016, with no explanation. Her twitter and Facebook were still up and running. After one week, Jenner explained to Ellen DeGeneres, “I just wanted a little bit of a break. I would wake up in the morning and look at it first thing, I would go to bed and it would be the last thing I looked at,” she revealed. “I felt a little too dependent on it so I wanted to take a minute.”
16) Justin Bieber threatened to make his Instagram account private in 2016 if fans did not stop making fun of his girlfriend at the time, 18-year-old Sofia Richie. He kept his word, but returned soon after that.
17) Normani Kordei received hate after fans thought she was snubbing her Fifth Harmony bandmate, Camilla Cabello. Kordei wrote on Twitter, “I have shown nothing but commitment for the success of Fifth Harmony even promoting on my days off but yet I always find myself as the target of unjust hate and slander.”
Kordei left in August 2016 and returned in September.
18) Daisy Ridley left Instagram in 2016 after sharing an anti-gun violence post. She returned in 2017, but left again, saying she thinks social media is “highly unhealthy for people’s mental health.”
19) Leslie Jones left Twitter for three days after receiving hateful and racist tweets. “I leave Twitter tonight with tears and a very sad heart. All this cause I did a movie. You can hate the movie but the s––– I got today…wrong,” she wrote.
20) Iggy Azalea left Twitter in 2015 after receiving unflattering comments about her appearance in paparazzi photos. “Just got back from a great vacation, came online and saw apparently it’s shocking and unheard of to be a woman and have cellulite,” she tweeted. She announced that her management would handle her account from then on “unless any message is signed -IA.” She returned after a few months.
21) Instagram made a mistake in 2014 that left Rihanna’s handle disabled. She returned six months later.
22) Lena Dunham announced in 2015 that she hired someone to tweet for her. “I really appreciate that anybody follows me at all, and so I didn’t want to cut off my relationship to it completely, but it really, truly wasn’t a safe space for me,” she said.
23) In 2015, Taylor Swift’s social media presence was at an all time low, saying “people might need a break” from her. Before releasing Reputation in 2017, she deleted her entire Instagram feed and didn’t return until later that year.