Tobin Bell Bio: In His Own Words — Video Exclusive, News, Photos
Tobin Bell (born Joseph Henry Tobin, Jr.) is an American actor, best known for playing the villain John Kramer/Jigsaw in all eight films of the Saw franchise.
Bell was born in Queens, New York, and raised in Weymouth, Massachusetts. His English-born mother, Eileen Julia Bell Tobin, is an actress who worked at the Quincy Repertory Company. His American-born father, Joseph H. Tobin, who was of Irish descent, built and established the radio station WJDA in Quincy, Massachusetts in 1947 and once ran for mayor of Gloversville, New York.
Bell is married to Elizabeth Bell, with whom he shares two sons: Justin and Cooper.
Bell studied liberal arts and journalism in college, with the intention of becoming a writer and entering the broadcasting field.
TOBIN BELL BIO: AGE, EARLY CAREER, FIRST ‘SAW’ MOVIE
Bell (born August 7, 1942, Tobin Bell age: 75) played minor characters in films in the 1980s and 1990s. His first speaking role came in the last few scenes of the Meryl Streep-led 1982 drama Sophie’s Choice. He also played secondary roles in Mississippi Burning (1988), Goodfellas (1990) and The Firm (1993).
He also appeared as villain Peter Kingsley in the second season of 24 in 2003.
His breakout role, however, was in the first Saw movie in 2004. In it, Bell played John Kramer, aka “Jigsaw,” an engineer who tricks people by making them play twisted games. Although it was a low-budget film, it was commercially successful and seven sequels followed: Saw II (2005), Saw III (2006), Saw IV (2007), Saw V (2008), Saw VI (2009), Saw 3D (2010), and Jigsaw (2017).
Jigsaw was met with mostly mediocre reviews.
Bell also provided his voice for two Saw video games.
TOBIN BELL: VIDEO INTERVIEW
In 2009, Bell sat down with uInterview for an exclusive interview on his role in Saw VI. Users submitted all the questions.
When one fan asked why he believed so many people enjoyed his character Jigsaw, Bell said: “He’s a multidimensional guy. He’s part philosopher, part scientist, he’s very interested in the human condition. He also has a lot of interesting ideas and concepts, and he’s also the driving force behind some amazing special effects that people enjoy very much.”
Bell also said he doesn’t suffer from nightmares about Jigsaw, despite what some fans may believe.
“I don’t take Jigsaw home with me,” he said. “He is himself a technician and I approach him from a very technical point of view.”
TOBIN BELL: QUOTES
“In the the late seventies and early eighties, I played background roles in thirty movies… Woody Allen movies, Scorsese films, you name it. Whatever was being shot in New York, I was doing stand-in and background work because I wanted to be close to the camera; I wanted to see what was going on.”
“‘Saw VI’ has a really interesting theme about the ripple effect. Everything you do affects the guy next to you, which affects the guy next to him, which affects her over here. And you might think that what you’re doing is not that significant, but just the way you respond to other people makes the world the way it is.”
“The only thing worse than working acting in an airplane is working in a prison – they’re cold, and the clanging and the noise, it just gets under your skin after a week.”
TOBIN BELL: RECENT WORK, NET WORTH
Although he views his role in Saw as a “great blessing,” Bell also said he soon has the chance to be cast against type. Bell had a brief role in the soap opera Days of Our Lives in 2016, and currently stars as the voices of cultist Doctor Alchemy and Savitar on the third season of The Flash, in an uncredited recurring role.
According to celebritynetworth.com, Bell has a net worth of approximately $16 million.
In his spare time, Bell coaches a Little League baseball team and flag football.
Tobin Bell Bio: In His Own Words — Video Exclusive, News, Photos News
- Cristela Alonzo Bio: In Her Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Maggie Gyllenhaal Bio: In Her Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Evan Peters Bio: In His Own Words — Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Jeremy Renner Bio: In His Own Words — Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- ‘Saw’ Star Tobin Bell Returns In ‘Jigsaw’ [SPOILERS]
- ‘Jigsaw’ Review Roundup: Nothing New To Offer In Seventh ‘Saw’ Sequel
- Chris Pratt Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Wong Kar-Wai Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Sarah Paulson Bio: In Her Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Shane West Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Henry Rollins Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Billy Bob Thornton Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Cary Elwes Remembers 'The Princess Bride' On 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Special Features
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.