Ryan Coogler Biography: In His Own Words – Exclusive Videos, News, Photos, Age
Ryan Coogler is an American filmmaker. He is best known for his films Creed (2015), Black Panther (2018) and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022).
RYAN COOGLER BIOGRAPHY: AGE, EARLY LIFE, FAMILY, EDUCATION
Ryan Coogler was born on May 23, 1986 (Ryan Coogler: Age 36) in Oakland, California to Joselyn and Ira Coogler. Ryan Coogler has two brothers, Noah and Keenan. When Coogler was eight his family moved to Richmond, California where he went to Saint Mary’s College High School.
Coogler went to the Saint Mary’s College of California on a football scholarship where he planned on majoring in chemistry. However, he was encouraged by teachers to take creative writing courses, especially screenwriting courses. In 2004, Saint Mary canceled their football program so Coogler transferred to Sacramento State to continue earning a football scholarship.
At Sacramento State, Coogler graduated with a bachelor’s degree in finance and went on to study at the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts.
RYAN COOGLER BIOGRAPHY: CAREER
Coogler made four short films while at the University of Southern California School of Cinematic Arts. Of the four, three were nominated and Locks (2009) won the Dana and Albert Broccoli Award for Filmmaking Excellence at the Tribeca Film Festival.
Coogler wrote and directed his first full-length film which premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. The film, Fruitvale Station follows the last 24 hours of Oscar Grant (played by Coogler’s friend, Micheal B. Jordan) who was shot by a police officer at the Bay Area Rapid Transit station. The film won the Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize for dramatic films.
Coogler’s second film was Creed, the spin-off of Rocky that followed the story of Creed’s son, Donnie (Micheal B. Jordan). It was again widely acclaimed and fully brought Coogler into the limelight, not only as a director but as a screenwriter as well.
In 2018, Marvel asked Coogler to co-write and direct the film Black Panther. Micheal B. Jordan played a part in the movie as the main antagonist. Chadwick Boseman played the titular superhero and king of Wakanda. The film broke box office records when it was released and became the highest-grossing film directed by a Black filmmaker. It was also the ninth-highest-grossing film of all time, making $1.3 billion worldwide. The film won the Best Costume Design, Best Production Design and Best Original Score Awards at the 91st Academy Awards.
In 2022, Coogler returned to the world of Wakanda by co-writing and directing the sequel, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. However, before the filming of the movie, actor Boseman passed due to colon cancer.
RYAN COOGLER BIOGRAPHY: UNDERRATED
Coogler’s most recent work was producing the documentary Stephen Curry: Underrated. The film follows the life of Stephen Curry and his journey to greatness. It premiered at the 2023 Sundance Film Festival and will soon be available for streaming on Apple TV+.
In an exclusive interview with uInterview, Coogler revealed the most surprising thing he learned about Curry.
“I think learning about his college, specifically it was unique that the school is so committed to academics that they don’t retire players’ jersey until they graduate,” he began. “So the idea that Steph, you know, the most famous player ever played here, still hadn’t had his jersey hanging in the in the in the stadium was really interesting to me you know what I mean it was it was an interesting thing to follow throughout the film.”
Coogler continued on to talk about the message of the documentary, “I think motivation. To believe in yourself no matter what you’re hearing and also learn how to deal with failure. Learn how to pick up the pieces and get back to it.”
Ryan Coogler was born on May 23, 1986.
Ryan Coogler is 36 years old.
Ryan Coogler is known for directing Black Panther and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
Yes, Ryan Coogler married Zinzi Evans in 2016.
No, Ryan Coogler does not have children.
No, Ryan Coogler does not have social media.
Ryan Coogler News
- VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: ‘Black Panther’ Director Ryan Coogler Reveals What He Learned About Steph Curry Making ‘Underrated’
- ‘Black Panther’ Director Ryan Coogler Mistaken For Bank Robber in Atlanta
- Ryan Coogler To Write And Direct ‘Black Panther 2’
- Ryan Coogler, ‘Black Panther’ Director, Writes Thank You Letter To Supporters
- Ryan Coogler Tapped To Direct ‘Black Panther’ Movie
- Oscars 2023 Winners List: ‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’ Takes Top Awards
- 2023 Oscar Nominations Announced: ‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’ Leads
- ‘White Lotus’ & ‘Banshees Of Inisherin’ Lead With Most 2023 Golden Globe Nominations
- ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Movie Review: A Factory-Produced Marvel Movie With Touching Tribute To Chadwick Boseman
- ‘Black Panther’ Star Letitia Wright Hospitalized After Stunt Incident On Set of Sequel
- ‘Joker’ Sequel Confirmed To Be In Production With Todd Phillips Returning As Writer
- Marvel Pays Tribute To Chadwick Boseman: ‘You Will Always Be Our King’
- Top 10 Live-Action Comic Book Movies From The 2010s
- Oscar 2019 Snubs & Surprises: Timothee Chalamet, ‘If Beale Street Could Talk,’ ‘Crazy Rich Asians’
- Dolph Lundgren Attends ‘Creed II’ Photocall In Madrid, Makes Boxing Pose
- Michael B. Jordan Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
- Oprah Winfrey, Salma Hayek & Yara Shahidi Walk The Blue Carpet For ‘A Wrinkle In Time’ Premiere
- Atlanta Airport Offering Flights To Wakanda, Fictional Nation In ‘Black Panther’
- Yara Shahidi Writes Op-Ed About ‘Black Panther’
- ‘Black Panther’ Review Roundup: Early Reviewers Call Film One Of Best In Marvel Universe
- Lupita Nyong’o And Michael B. Jordan To Star In ‘Black Panther’ Movie
- Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences Adds Nearly 700 Members In Diverse New Class
- Sylvester Stallone Shares Vintage Photos From Filming Rocky’s Apollo Creed Fight
- 'Fruitvale,' Produced By Forest Whitaker And Starring Michael B. Jordan, Wins Big At Sundance
- Oscar Nominations 2019: ‘Roma’ & ‘The Favourite’ Lead With 10 Nods Each [FULL LIST]
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.