Jermaine Dupri Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
Jermaine Dupri Mauldin (born September 23, 1972, age: 45) is an American hip hop recording artist, record producer, songwriter and rapper. He was previously Janet Jackson’s boyfriend and is rumored to be currently dating the singer.
He was born in Asheville, North Carolina and was raised in Atlanta.
JERMAINE DUPRI BIO: EARLY LIFE AND CAREER
Dupri is the son of Tina and Michael Mauldin, a Columbia Records executive. Dupri’s musical career started before he was even ten years old. His father, who was also a talent manager, coordinated a Diana Ross show in 1982. Dupri got on stage and danced beside Ross, to the amusement of concert-goers.
At age 12, Dupri began dancing with the hip hop group Whodini. He had a cameo in the music video for their song “Freaks Come Out At Night.” Dupri started performing across the country, and even opened the New York Festival one year with Whodini, Run-DMC, and Grandmaster Flash.
JERMAINE DUPRI BIO: RISE TO FAME IN 1997
One of the first major artists Dupri collaborated with was Mariah Carey. The pair first worked together in 1995 on Carey’s hit single “Always Be My Baby.” Dupri also contributed to Lil’ Kim’s 1996 album Hard Core on the track “Not Tonight.”
In 1997, Dupri co-wrote and produced multiple tracks on Usher’s second album, “My Way.” The lead track, “You Make Me Wanna,” reached number-one on the Rhythmic Top 40 and Hot R&B/Hip-Hop chart. The singles “Nice & Slow” and “My Way” peaked at numbers one and two respectively on Billboard 100.
Dupri also helped produce Destiny Child’s eponymous debut album in 1998. Shortly afterwards, he began developing his own music career, which began with his first record Jermaine Dupri Presents Life In 1472: The Original Soundtrack, which included the lead single “The Party Continues.” He also met Lil Bow Wow that year and signed him to So So Def Recordings. Dupri then teamed up again with Carey for her Christmas album, Merry Christmas II You, and also collaborated with Weezer and Lil Wayne on the song “Can’t Stop Partying.”
JERMAINE DUPRI BIO: 2004-2009, USHER, MARIAH CAREY
Dupri reunited with Usher in 2004 to co-write and co-produce three Billboard 100 singles on the latter’s Confessions album: “Burn,” “Confessions Part II,” and “My Boo.” Confessions won Grammys for Best Contemporary R&B Album and Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals.
In 2005, Dupri worked again with Carey on the record The Emancipation of Mimi for the hit song “We Belong Together.” That single stayed at number one for 14 non-consecutive weeks, becoming the second-longest-running number one song in U.S. chart history, behind Carey’s 1996 hit with Boyz II Men, “One Sweet Day.”
“We Belong Together” won Grammy’s for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song.
In October 2007, Dupri published his memoir, Young, Rich and Dangerous: The Making of a Music Mogul. In November 2007, he co-produced and co-wrote with No I.D. this time on Jay-Z’s tenth studio album American Gangster.
JERMAINE DUPRI BIO: RELATIONSHIP WITH JANET JACKSON
In 2002, rumors began circulating that Dupri was in a relationship with Jackson. However, Jackson was also romantically linked to other celebrities like Justin Timberlake and Matthew McConaughey.
Dupri and Jackson collaborated on her ninth studio album, 20 Y.O., in 2005. Jackson began recording her ninth studio album, 20 Y.O., in 2005. She recorded with Dupri and two other producers for several months during the following year. The album’s title was a reference to the two decades since the release of her breakthrough album Control.
Eventually, 20 Y.O. was nominated for a Grammy, although Dupri was highly criticized following the album’s release for his misguided production style, and was subsequently removed from his position at Virgin Records.
Despite all this, Dupri and Jackson continued to date until 2009, the year Jackson’s brother Michael died.
In late December 2017, reports began surfacing that Dupri and Jackson had begun dating again, although other media outlets said they were simply friends who were mulling another collaboration.
JERMAINE DUPRI BIO: 2010-PRESENT: THE RAP GAME
In October 2013, Dupri replaced Randy Jackson as Carey’s talent manager. Carey and Dupri stopped collaborating in August 2014, although they remained in touch.
In 2015, Dupri and Queen Latifah created a reality television series, The Rap Game, an eight-episode show that premiered on Lifetime on Jan. 1, 2016. It followed five emerging artists, ages 11–16, who were immersed in the Atlanta hip-hop scene in a quest to become a rap star. Dupri was joined by guests including Usher, Ludacris, Da Brat, T.I. and Silentó; they gave the competitors advice on what it takes to be in the industry.
JERMAINE DUPRI INTERVIEW: THE RAP GAME, HIS LABEL SO SO DEF
When asked what’s missing from modern rap, Dupri was quick with a one word answer — Mulatto. By Mulatto, he means the 16-year-old hip-hop artist who proved herself ready to get into the studio with Dupri on Lifetime’s The Rap Game.
“I’m not just saying [Mulatto] because she’s my artist. I’m just saying that I believe that rap is all in this one space right row,” Dupri explained in an exclusive interview with uInterview. “It’s just in a space where rappers believe they have to sell dope. Rappers believe that they believe they have to go to strip clubs. Rappers believe that they have to use profanity to actually be a successful rapper. To me, that’s just one piece of rap.”
JERMAINE DUPRI BIO: HEIGHT, NET WORTH, QUOTES, SOCIAL MEDIA
Dupri’s height is listed as 5-foot-4. His Twitter and Instagram handles are both @jermainedupri.
His net worth is estimated at $2 million, a significant decline from where it started.
“Ciara’s new single is a complete rip-off of Usher’s ‘U Got It Bad,’”
“I’m one of those guys a lot of people watch, imitate, and then make it seem like they were the ones who did it first.”
“When I came out rapping on my record, a lot of people said, Oh, you just want to be like Puff.”
“People are just really overreacting. It’s just feel good music. We at Virgin are in no way promoting sex or whatever these media outlets continue to print.”
Jermaine Dupri Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos News
- Justin Bieber & More Celebrities Share New Year’s Eve Instagram Photos
- Mariah Carey Spawns First Meme Of 2018 With Hot Tea
- New Year’s Even Countdown To 2018 Specials: Who And What To Watch
- Mariah Carey To Headline ‘New Year’s Rockin’ Eve’ Despite 2016 Debacle
- Janet Jackson & Jermaine Dupri Reportedly Get Back Together After 8 Years
- California Wildfires Cause Celebrities To Evacuate Homes
- Producer DeVon Franklin On ‘The Star’ & Religion In Entertainment [VIDEO EXCLUSIVE]
- Mariah Carey Keeps Heels On For Foot & Handprints At TCL Chinese Theater With Bryan Tanaka
- Mariah Carey Spotted Wearing $10M Engagement Ring From James Packer
- Justin Timberlake Reportedly Finalizing Deal To Perform At Super Bowl LII Halftime Show
- ‘Hand In Hand’ Telethon Raises $44 Million For Survivors of Hurricanes Harvey & Irma [WATCH]
- Pink Performs Career-Spanning Medley At MTV VMAs, Wins Vanguard Award
- Usher Being Sued By Three Fans For Not Disclosing Alleged STD
- Who is Tomeeka Robyn Bracy, Stevie Wonder’s New Wife?
- ‘Girls Trip’ Review Round Up: Fun & Raunchy Comedy With Heart
- Mariah Carey Life Story To Be Told In New Starz Drama Series
- Ariana Grande & Celebs Return To Manchester For One Love Manchester Benefit Concert
- Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber & Katy Perry To Perform At Manchester Benefit Concert [Ticket Info]
- White House Fires First Female Chief Usher Angella Reid
- Mexican Singer Luis Miguel Surrenders To U.S. Marshals
- Janet Jackson To Release New Album On Motherhood, Reschedules Tour [Ticket Info]
- Janet Jackson Shares Photo of Son, Eissa Al-Mana, For the First Time
- Mariah Carey To Launch New Label And New Album
- What Is Janet Jackson’s Ex Wissam Al Mana’s Net Worth? Billions Could Be At Stake In Divorce
- Jay Z Albums No Longer Available On Spotify, Limited Albums On Apple Music
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.