Ansel Elgort Bio: In His Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
Ansel Elgort was born March 14, 1994, to Arthur Elgort, a photographer, and Grethe Barrett Holby, an opera director. His maternal grandmother, Aase-Grethe, was in the Norwegian resistance during World War II, and saved Norwegian Jewish children by moving them into neutral Sweden; because of these activities, she was imprisoned in a concentration camp.
Ansel Elgort Music Career
Under the name “Ansølo”, Elgort created a SoundCloud account to publish electronic dance music. He has also remixed songs such as “Born to Die” by Lana del Rey. In February of 2014, Elgort signed a record deal with Tom Staar‘s label Staar Traxx, leading to two records being produced. The first was called “Unite” and was released in April of 2014. His second record, “Totem,” was released July 21.
Ansel Elgort Filmography
Elgort started taking acting classes at age of twelve and starred in his high school’s productions of Guys and Dolls and Hairspray. Elgort decided on an acting career, and started off on the stage, making his professional debut in Regrets, by Matt Charman. His first role in a major motion picture was in the 2013 remake of the horror movie Carrie, where Elgort had a small role. He quickly rose to notoriety after getting cast as Caleb, Shailene Woodley‘s brother in the Divergent series based on the young adult novels by Veronica Roth.
A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
Strangely, immediately after filming Divergent, both Woodley and Elgort was cast together in the adaptation of John Green‘s The Fault in our Stars — this time playing love interests. The film was about teenagers with terminal cancers who meet and fall in love during what little time they have. Like the novel, the film gained critical and financial success.
Elgort also starred in another John Green adaptation, the 2015 film Paper Towns, alongside Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne.
Elgort was part of the ensemble cast in Jason Reitman‘s Men, Women & Children, a dramatic comedy about how the Internet affects the modern family, and can ripple out into the lives of strangers. Like Elgort’s previous films, this one was also a success.
Recently, Elgort starred in the 2017 hit movie Baby Driver and the 2019 film The Goldfinch. In 2021, Elgort was cast as Tony in Steven Spielberg’s adaptation of West Side Story, playing opposite Rachel Zegler. His musical talents were able to shine as he gave new life to the Tony Award-winning musical.
Elgort currently stars in the HBO television series Tokyo Vice, playing an American journalist who infiltrates the Tokyo Vice police squad. The show has aired one season so far and has been renewed for a second.
Ansel Elgort Interview
uInterview spoke with Ansel Elgort about his role in Men, Women & Children and his own opinions on and experiences with social media.
“We’re all in the thick of it, but I’m a young person in the thick of it and I know this is sort of how it is,” Elgort told uInterview exclusively. “People are very connected, in their phones all the time and I suppose you can take away from it like, ‘Oh social media is bad,’ but I don’t think it is. I think it is saying this is how it is, and maybe it’d be a good idea to put down our phones a little more often and connect with the people in front of us.”
Watch Ansel Elgort’s full uInterview video:
Ansel Elgort News
- Ansel Elgort Posts Photos With Shailene Woodley On Vacation In Italy, Sparking Romance Rumors
- Ansel Elgort Brings Girlfriend Violetta Komyshan To ‘West Side Story’ Premiere
- Ansel Elgort Denies Sexual Assault Allegations Leveled On Social Media
- Ansel Elgort & Girlfriend Violetta Komyshan Glow At ‘Baby Driver’ Premiere
- ‘Star Wars’ Spinoff: Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort And Dave Franco Top Names For Han Solo Role
- Ansel Elgort Rekindles Romance With High School Sweetheart Violetta Komyshan In Milan
- Ansel Elgort Responds To Gay Rumors, Tells Fans To ‘Be True To Yourself’
- Ansel Elgort On ‘Men Women And Children’ & Social Media [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Ansel Elgort Brings Girlfriend Violetta Komyshan To Paris Fashion Week
- Willa Fitzgerald Biography: In Her Own Words – Exclusive Video, News, Photos, Age
- Kaia Gerber & Austin Butler Share Kiss After Cannes ‘Elvis’ Premiere
- ‘West Side Story’ Blu-Ray Review: Faithful Adaptation That Could Have Gone Further
- First Trailer For Steven Spielberg’s ‘West Side Story’ Released During The Oscars
- ‘Dungeons & Dragons’ Movie Starring Chris Pine Is In The Works
- Justin Bieber Denies Sexual Assault Allegations Made Against Him On Twitter
- ‘Riverdale’ Star Cole Sprouse Denies Sexual Assault Charges Made Anonymously On Twitter
- First Image Of ‘West Side Story’ Remake Featuring Ariana DeBose As Anita Released
- Austin Butler To Play Elvis Presley In Upcoming Baz Luhrmann-Directed Biopic
- Kevin Spacey’s New Movie, ‘Billionaire Boys Club’, Earns Just $126 On Opening Night
- Golden Globes 2018: ‘Lady Bird,’ ‘Big Little Lies,’ ‘Three Billboards’ Take Top Awards [COMPLETE WINNERS LIST]
- Golden Globes 2018: What Time Does It Start? Who’s Nominated? [FULL NOMINATION LIST]
- Golden Globes 2018 Nominations Announced: ‘The Shape Of Water,’ ‘Big Little Lies’ Lead [FULL LIST]
- Teen Choice Awards Overshadowed By Charlottesville Violence [Full Winners List]
- ‘Baby Driver’ Review Round Up: Critics Praise Pulp Action Masterpiece
- MTV VMAs 2016: Who’s Performing? What Time Does It Start?
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!