X Men: First Class Tops the Weekend Box Office
X Men: First Class, starring James McAvoy and January Jones earned $56 million at the box office in its opening weekend, taking the top spot from The Hangover II, which fell to second by earning $32.4 million.
The rest of the films from last week stayed in order, all falling one spot, with Rio being bumped out of the top ten altogether. Kung Fu Panda II had another strong weekend, earning $24.3 million followed by Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, which saw strong results for the third straight week. The top five was rounded out by Kristen Wiig’s big screen breakthrough Bridesmaids, which had a strong showing in its fourth week earning $12.1 million and was the only other film to top the $10 million mark this week.
Action and romance remained the theme this weekend. Thor and Fast Five were followed by Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris and the wedding comedy Jumping the Broom. The top ten was completed by Something Borrowed, Kate Hudson and Jon Krasinski’s romantic comedy, which hung on with a gross of $835,000.
Box Office totals (weekend; cumulative; rank last week)
1. X-Men: First Class, $56m; $56m; N
2. The Hangover Part II, $32.4m; $186.8m; 13.
3. Kung Fu Panda 2, $24.3m; $100.4m, 2
4. Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, $18m; $190.2m; 3
5. Bridesmaids, $12.1m; $107.2m; 4
6. Thor, $4.2m; $169m; 5
7. Fast Five, $3.2m; $202m; 6
8. Midnight in Paris, $2.9m; $6.9m; 7
9. Jumping The Broom, $.86m; $35.9m; 8
10. Something Borrowed, $.83m; $36.6m; 9