Trump Plaza Casino, Labeled ‘Imminent Hazard’ By Atlantic City, To Be Demolished
The company that now owns the building, Ichan Enterprises, submitted plans to demolish the building in June 2021, but Small said that date would be “not acceptable” because it conflicts with the boardwalk’s high-season for tourism.
“That’s smack dab in the middle of our season. My administration’s goal is to get it down,” Small said. “By the end of the year, or late February, and time for cleanup for next summer season.”
The run-down building has had debris fall from as high as the 34th floor, sometimes onto the boardwalk.
Video from Mike Lopez (AC Mike) showing pieces of the old, former Trump Plaza being sheared off by winds onto the Atlantic City Boardwalk. The building is supposed to be in the process of demolition, according to owner Carl Icahn. pic.twitter.com/CbcjRAiApD
— Amy S. Rosenberg (@amysrosenberg) April 13, 2020
Small went to the Supreme Court to have the property labeled as a “imminent hazard” to speed up the demolition process. Ichan Enterprises had 45 days to hand in official plans to get the building taken down, and they gave those in earlier this week
TRACKING A NOR’EASTER: Two big chunks of the former #Trump Plaza Casino have fallen off and debris is blowing everywhere in Atlantic City via @CleveBryan https://t.co/8U8Gl7IxFJ pic.twitter.com/OnNBAklNZC
— CBS Philly (@CBSPhilly) March 2, 2018
The building opened in 1984, and closed in 2014 after Trump’s business went bankrupt. Ichan Enterprises, owned by billionaire Carl Ichan, purchased the building, and the company Trump Entertainment Resorts, in 2016. Trump Plaza had been the last remaining Trump casino in Atlantic City when Ichan purchased it.
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!