'The Rite' Number 1 At Weekend Box Office
Anthony Hopkins proved his dominance with thrillers, winning the box office with The Rite, an exorcism drama that recalls Hopkins' iconic role as cannibal Hannibal Lector.
With a gross of $15 million, The Rite topped the Natalie Portman (pictured)-Ashton Kutcher romantic comedy No Strings Attached, which held on reasonably well from its opening last week with $13.7 million. The only other new release of the weekend, Jason Statham's The Mechanic, tied for third place with Seth Rogan's superhero comedy The Green Hornet; both movies finished with $11.5 million.
Though overall ticket sales were down 12 percent from a year ago, the weekend was not as lackluster as previous weeks, when ticket sales had been off by as much as 30 percent. —ISHITA SINGH
Read below for full box office totals:
A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
Title, Weekend Gross; Total
1. The Rite, $15 million; $15 million
2. No Strings Attached, $13.7 million; $39.7 million
3. The Green Hornet, $11.5 million; $78.8 million
4. The Mechanic, $11.5 million; $11.5 million
5. The King's Speech, $11.1 million; $72.2 million
6. True Grit, $7.6 million; $148.4 million
7. The Dilemma, $5.5 million; $40.6 million
8. Black Swan, $5.1 million; $90.7 million
9. The Fighter, $4.1 million; $78.4 million
10. Yogi Bear, $3.2 million; $92.5 million
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.