'The Hangover' Dominates At Box Office
The Hangover Part II, starring Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis and Ed Helms, knocked Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides out of the top spot this weekend, making $86.5 million. Kung Fu Panda 2 came in second, ensuring that an animated movie stayed in the top three, earning $48 million. Pirates Of The Caribbean didn’t fall too low, however – the Johnny Depp movie held on to the number three spot with $39.3 million.
Wedding movies also continue to dominate the charts, with Bridesmaids dropping two spots to fourth place and earning $16.4 million. Action flick Thor rounded off the top five, making $9.4 million. Fast Five also dropped two spots to number six, making $6.6 million. Midnight In Paris, with Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams and Kathy Bates gained six spots to jump to number seven, earning $1.9 million. The second wedding movie – Jumping The Broom fell to number eight with $1.9 million, and the Kate Hudson-starrer Something Borrowed came in at number nine with $1.8 million. The animated flick Rio completed the top 10, earning $1.8 million.
Box Office totals (weekend; cumulative; rank last week)
- The Hangover Part II, $86.5m; $118.1m; N
- Kung Fu Panda 2, $48m; $53.8m N
- Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, $39.3m; $152.9m; 1
- Bridesmaids, $16.4m; $85m; 2
- Thor, $9.4m; $159.7m; 3
- Fast Five, $6.6m; $196m; 4
- Midnight in Paris, $1.9m; $2.8m; 13
- Jumping The Broom, $1.9m; $34.2m; 7
- Something Borrowed, $1.8m; $34.8m; 8
- Rio, $1.8m; $134.8m; 6