'Super 8' Beats 'X-Men' At The Box Office
J.J. Abrams’ sci-fi thriller Super 8 topped the box office on its first weekend, making $37 million. It knocked X-Men: First Class out of first place, although the James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender movie still grossed $25 million in second place. The next three spots were taken by sequels: The Hangover Part II in third place made $18.5 million, Kung Fu Panda 2 earned $16.6 million at number four and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides came in fifth with $10.8 million. Hot on its heels was the sleeper hit, Bridesmaids, which earned $10.2 million this weekend. Another new entry into the top 10 was Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer, starring Heather Graham. It made $6.3 million on opening weekend. Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris stayed at number eight with $6.1 million, while Thor fell three places to number nine, grossing only $2.4 million this weekend. Bringing up the rear was Fast Five, which also fell three places to number 10, and earned $1.7 million.
Box Office totals (weekend; cumulative; position last week)
- Super 8, $37m; $38m; New
- X-Men: First Class, $25m; $98.9m; 1
- The Hangover Part II, $18.5m; $216.6m; 2
- Kung Fu Panda 2, $16.6m; $126.9m; 3
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, $10.8m; $208.8m; 4
- Bridesmaids, $10.2m; $123.9m; 5
- Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer, $6.3; $6.3; New
- Midnight in Paris, $6.1m; $14.2m; 8
- Thor, $2.4m; $173.6m; 6
- Fast Five, $1.7m; $205.1m; 7
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!