Priyanka Chopra Bio: In Her Own Words – Video Exclusive, News, Photos
Priyanka Chopra (born July 18, 1982) is an Indian actress and singer. Chopra was the winner of the 2000 Miss World pageant and has since then become one of the highest-paid and well-known Bollywood actresses. She currently stars as Alex Parrish on ABC’s drama Quantico. Chopra has received numerous awards and nominations, including the National Film Award for Best Actress and the Filmfare Award for Best Actress. In 2016, she was also decorated with the Padma Shri, the 4th highest civilian award granted by the Indian government.
PRIYANKA CHOPRA: EARLY LIFE
Born in Jamshedpur, India, at the age of 13 Chopra moved to the United Stated to study. Her teenage years were unstable as her aunt’s family, with whom she was staying, had to constantly move. During her high school years in the US, she struggled with racism and bullying, which ultimately caused her to return to India, where she finished her education.
Following this period, Chopra entered a number of local beauty contests before eventually going onto the Miss World pageant and being recognized as Miss World 2000. This made her the fifth Indian contestant to ever win Miss World.
PRIYANKA CHOPRA: BREAKTHROUGH AND CAREER
“I didn’t know I could be an actor”
“And I just never looked back. I learned the job. I taught myself what acting was”
“Whatever I have today is just out of the experience of having the opportunity of doing it.”
At this time, Chopra had already enrolled in college, but the Miss World title had brought her both recognition and multiple film offers. She finally made her Bollywood debut as second female lead in Anil Sharma‘s 2003 film The Hero: Love Story of a Spy. Even though critics received the film with mixed feelings, Chopra’s acting career was off to a solid start. Her next screen appearance in Raj Kanwar‘s box-office success Andaaz earned Chopra her first major award – the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut. It wasn’t until late 2004 when she starred as the antagonist in the critically acclaimed thriller Aitraaz, directed by Abbas-Mustan.
Looking back on her first steps in acting, Chopra shares that she didn’t know she could be an actor, but once her first films were met with some success she “never looked back.” She reveals that she had to learn the craft through experience because there she couldn’t have access to professional acting school: “I learned the job. I taught myself what acting was… Whatever I have today is just out of the experience of having the opportunity of doing it.”
After the relatively successful debut and early years of her career, Chopra encountered a few setbacks in her work in early 2005. Over the nex few years, she starred several movies with great critical acclaim as well as many, in which her performance was not as praised by critics. This series of poorly received movies was interrupted by Madhur Bhandarkar‘s 2008 drama about the Indian fashion industry titled Fashion. This production was a staggering commercial success, especially because it was centered around the lives of women, and became a turning point in Chopra’s career.
Chopra’s film credits over the next years include films with international acclaim like Don 2, the sequel to the 2006 Don, which played at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival and at the 2012 International Film Festival of Marrakesh. In 2012, Chopra also starred in Anurag Basu’s Barfi!, where she convincingly portrayed the challenging role of an autistic woman who falls in love with a deaf, mute man. The film ranked as one of the highest-grossing Bollywood films of all time, received multiple nominations, and was played at important film festivals around the world.
PRIYANKA CHOPRA: ‘QUANTICO’
Chopra is perhaps best known to American audiences from one of her most recent projects as the FBI recruit Alex Parris on ABC’s Quantico. On September 27, 2015 ABC premiered the pilot for the new drama Quantico, following a group of FBI recruits and their unique stories in an overarching narrative of treason. Chopra’s character, Alex Parriss, is suspected of being involved in the most devastating terrorist attack on American soil following September 11. Chopra has been praised by multiple media for her performance, which has also earned her a People’s Choice Award in the category “Favourite Actress In A New TV Series,” making her the first South Asian actress to ever win a People’s Choice Award.
PRIYANKA CHOPRA: RECENT WORK
Chopra’s most recent work includes the historical romance drama Bajirao Mastani, directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. She stars in the role of Bajirao’s first wife Kashibai alongside Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone in the roles of Maratha Peshwa Bajirao I and his second wife Mastani respectively.
“For me the film is a verse in movement. That film is beautiful. It is wonderful. Generally characters don’t influence me yet this film has sincerely depleted me. I am rationally influenced… As a character it is something I haven’t encountered. There is so much enthusiastic turmoil. It is a seventeenth century film and the most troublesome film I have ever done.”
The film was released on December 18, 2015 and has been received with an overall positive critical reaction and has enjoyed a tremendous commercial success, becoming one of the highest-grossing Indian films of all time.
PRIYANKA CHOPRA: DATING AND PERSONAL LIFE
Various media publications have deemed Chopra the world’s sexiest Asian woman, and with such high profile, there has been a great deal of speculation about her personal life.Though she avoids discussing her personal life in public, it is the subject of substantial media coverage in India. Her name has been associated with a number of fellow actors and there have been recent unconfirmed rumors about the actress settling down. In any case, she is very particular about keeping her personal life private and respects the media that allow her to have this sort of privacy.
Apart from her professional endeavors, Chopra is also known for her philanthropic work. In 2010, for example, she was appointed as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Child Rights. She is also an ardent proponent of various causes such as environment, health and education, and particularly issues regarding gender inequality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights.
Leave a comment
Priyanka Chopra News
- Priyanka Chopra & Nick Jonas Play With Color In India Celebrating ‘Holi’
- Priyanka Chopra & Nick Jonas Go Horseback Riding Date On Beach In Carpinteria, California
- Priyanka Chopra Vacations With Husband Nick Jonas In Tuscany
- Nick Jonas & Priyanka Chopra Arrive At Hotel In Paris
- Priyanka Chopra Wore 75-Foot-Long Veil During Her Wedding To Nick Jonas
- Nick Jonas & Priyanka Chopra Get Married In India
- Nick Jonas & Priyanka Chopra Have Dinner With Family In Mumbai
- Nick Jonas & Priyanka Chopra Get Engaged In Mumbai
- Nick Jonas & Priyanka Chopra Make Relationship Official On Instagram
- Priyanka Chopra & ABC Apologize For ‘Quantico’ Episode Featuring Indian Terrorists
- Nick Jonas Takes Rumored Girlfriend Priyanka Chopra To His Cousin’s Wedding
- Priyanka Chopra Wears Haute Couture To The Giorgio Armania Paris Fashion Week Show
- Priyanka Chopra Offers Her Name To Play Batgirl
- Priyanka Chopra’s Met Gala Dress Sparks Memes, Actress Chooses Her Favorite
- Priyanka Chopra’s Brief Appearance In New ‘Baywatch’ Trailer Gets Panned
- Jimmy Fallon Paints Colors On Priyanka Chopra On ‘The Tonight Show’
- Priyanka Chopra Hospitalized With Concussion After Accident On ‘Quantico’ Set
- Priyanka Chopra’s ‘Maxim’ Cover Features Photoshopped Armpits, Sparks Outrage
- Priyanka Chopra Wins People’s Choice Award For ‘Quantico’ Role
- Priyanka Chopra On ‘Bajirao Mastani,’ ‘Quantico,’ Bollywood [VIDEO EXCLUSIVE]
- Emmys 2016 Best Dressed: Pryanka Chopra, Kerry Washington, Heidi Klum & More
- Shailene Woodley Goes Turquoise At Paris Fashion Week Haute Couture
- Michelle Obama, Prince Harry & More Celebrities Post Father’s Day Tributes
- Chris Pratt Marries Katherine Schwarzenegger, Ex Anna Farris Sends Congratulations
- Jonas Brothers Return To ‘SNL’ [Concert Ticket Info]