Buckingham Palace released a statement on Friday confirming that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were officially done acting as working royals.

Last March, the couple announced that they were “stepping back” as senior royals. Since that announcement, all parties agreed to a 12-month review period where they could revisit their decision.

Despite the fact that this period is not over until March, the statement released by the Royal Family said the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed to Queen Elizabeth that they would not be returning as working members of the royal family.

“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service,” read the statement. “The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.”

The Royal Marines, RAF Honington, Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving, The Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, The Rugby Football Union, The Rugby Football League, The Royal National Theatre and The Association of Commonwealth Universities will all be reverted to the Queen.

The couple will be allowed to retain their his/her highness title, despite no longer using them. They will also remain as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family,” concluded the statement from Buckingham Palace.

Prince Harry and Markle’s spokesperson released a statement that said the couple “remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organizations they have represented regardless of official role. We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”

Prince Harry will continue to oversee the Invictus Games Foundation, a Paralympic-style contest for service members which also incorporates the Endeavour Fund, and his personal charity, Sentebale, which combat the HIV/AIDS pandemic in southern Africa. He will also continue his work with Wellchild, which aids sick children and their families.

Markle will continue to work with animal welfare charity Mayhew, and Smart Works Charity, which provides women with professional attire for career opportunities.

It was reported earlier that the couple expected to be stripped of their remaining titles ahead of an interview they agreed to do with Oprah.

When Markle and Prince Harry stepped down in 2020, they cited “unbearable intrusions and racist attitudes” of the British media towards Markle. Markle recently won a lawsuit against the British tabloid, The Mail on Sunday.

The couple recently announced they were expecting their second child.

Read more about:

Leave a comment