New Allegations Surface That Princess Diana Was Murdered By British Military
Scotland Yard is looking into a claim that Princess Diana was murdered by the British military. This accusation arose during a trial involving the Special Air Service (SAS), where in-laws of an ex-Special Forces soldier presented a seven-page letter alleging that their estranged son-in-law had told their daughter that the SAS was behind Princess Diana’s tragic death.
These allegations were reportedly made two years ago, when the in-laws sent the letter to the courts regarding the court martial of Sergeant Danny Nightingale, their son-in-law’s roommate. All mentions of the SAS have been redacted, and the son-in-law is identified only as ‘Soldier N’ in the court documents.
“He [Soldier N] also told her [his wife] that it was the XXX [SAS] who arranged Princess Diana’s death and that has been covered up,” the letter allegedly states, according to the Mirror.
The authenticity of the letter is, as expected, being questioned, particularly due to the fact that the allegations surfaced while Soldier N and his wife were ending their marriage.
“This allegation was made after a marriage had broken down, based purely on comments that were, rightly or wrongly, taken seriously. That’s if they were ever said at all. The case of Princess Diana has had a lot of conspiracy theories bandied about around it – and I’m sure this won’t be the last,” a military source told The Daily Beast.
After the allegations were printed in UK newspapers last weekend, authorities have released statements saying that they are investigating the matter.
“The Metropolitan Police Service is scoping information that has recently been received in relation to the deaths and assessing its relevance and credibility. The assessment will be carried out by officers from the Specialist Crime and Operations command… This is not a re-investigation and does not come under Operation Paget,” read the statement from Scotland Yard.
Operation Paget is the name given to the task of investigating conspiracy theories regarding Princess Diana’s death.
Though Scotland Yard admits that they are looking into this potential new lead, the London Metropolitan Police released a statement assuring the public that this does not mean that the previous findings of the police and British court regarding Princess Diana’s death were false.
“This is not a re-investigation,” the London Metropolitan Police said.
On Aug. 31, 1997, Princess Diana was killed along with her boyfriend Dodi al Fayed, and their driver, Henri Paul, while driving erratically to escape paparazzi in a Paris tunnel. Countless investigations have since been carried out regarding their death, and it was found that Henri Paul had been drinking prior to the accident.
In 2008, a British jury determined that Princess Diana’s death was caused by a tragic accident. These findings were in accordance with the investigation undertaken by the London Metropolitan Police.
“The verdict is unlawful killing, grossly negligent driving of the following vehicles and of the Mercedes,” the jury concluded.
Princes William and Harry statement at the time, expressing their faith in the judicial ruling:
“We agree with their verdicts, and are both hugely grateful to each and every one of them for the forbearance they have shown in accepting such significant disruption to their lives over the past six months.”
Dodi al Fayeld’s father, Mohamed al Fayed, however, was not content with the verdict. Al Fayed has stood by his claim that the deaths of Princess Diana and his son were part of a conspiracy and murder plot somehow instigated by the British Royal Family. After the 2008 verdict was revealed, al Fayed told reporters, “The most important thing is, it is murder.”
Despite his insistence that his son had been murdered, al Fayed released a statement saying he trusted the police to handle this new investigation,
“Mr. al Fayed has no comment but notes the Metropolitan Police statement that it is investigating. He trusts that their investigation will be thorough and awaits the outcome with interest,” said a spokeswoman for al Fayed.
– Olivia Truffaut-Wong
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App For Daily News Updates here.
Get the FREE Uinterview iPad app here and watch our videos anywhere.
More on Princess Diana:
Hasnat Khan: Princess Diana Would Have Moved To Pakistan To Marry Him
Naomi Watts Is Princess Diana
PHOTO: Naomi Watts As Princess Diana In Recently Renamed 'Diana' Biopic
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!