Melissa Harris-Perry’s MSNBC Show Is Canceled After E-Mail Goes Public
After a tense few weeks between TV host Melissa Harris-Perry and MSNBC, an MSNBC spokesman on Sunday confirmed that the network and Harris-Perry were “parting ways.”
This announcement came shortly after an email was leaked from Harris-Perry calming that she felt “worthless” to the executives of the network. Her weekend show was constantly being pre-empted so the network could air coverage of the Presidential election instead.
Harris-Perry said in an email on Sunday that she was not in direct communication with anyone at the network but that “terms of severance, not reconciliation” were still being negotiated.
She also tweeted a photo to her fans saying, “Farewell #Nerdland. Inviting diverse new voices to table was a privilege. Grateful for years of support & criticism.”
— Melissa Harris-Perry (@MHarrisPerry) February 28, 2016
In an interview with The New York Times on Friday, Harris-Perry said that she was frustrated that MSNBC had gotten rid of her and on Friday went public with an email she sent earlier that week to staff members in which she complained that the NBC News chairman, Andrew Lack, and Phil Griffin, the president of MSNBC.
“I will not be used as a tool for their purposes,” she wrote. “I am not a token, mammy, or little brown bobble head. I am not owned by Lack, Griffin, or MSNBC. I love our show. I want it back.”
The show centered on social and economic justice since 2012.
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!