Megamind Has Mega-Weekend At Box Office
Superheroes won big at this weekend's theaters, as Megamind took over the number one spot with $47.6 million. The animated family flick, starring the voices of Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt (pictured) and Tina Fey revolves around the adventures of a giant-headed blue supervillain.
Road comedy Due Date, starring Zach Galifianakis and Robert Downey Jr., slid into second with $33.5 million. The Todd Phillips-helmed movie beat out Tyler Perry's For Colored Girls, starring Thandie Newton, Janet Jackson and Loretta Devine, which took third with $20.1 million. That figure, lower than usual for Perry, could be attributed to the fact that the movie is not one of the director's typical comedies and does not feature the outsized matriarch Madea.
The gory hiking drama 127 Hours, starring James Franco, also debuted this weekend, though in limited release, making $266,000 across four theaters. Halloween horror holdovers Saw 3D and Paranormal Activity 2 slid to numbers five and six on the top ten, making $8.2 and $7.2 million respectively. –AMY LEE
Full box office results below:
Title/Weekend Gross/Total Gross
1. Megamind $47.6 million/ $47.6 million
2. Due Date $33.5 million/ $33.5 million
3. For Colored Girls $20.1 million/ $20.1 million
4. Red (2010) $8.9 million/ $71.9 million
5. Saw 3D $8.2 million/ $38.8 million
6. Paranormal Activity 2 $7.2 million/ $77.2 million
7. Jackass 3D $5.1 million/ $110.8 million
8. Hereafter $4 million/ $28.7 million
9. Secretariat $4 million/ $50.9
10. The Social Network $3.6 million/ $85 million
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!