Martin Martinez, Suspect In 5 Modesto Murders, Was Under Investigation In the Death Of 2-Year-Old Boy
Martin Martinez, a suspect in the gruesome Modesto murders that resulted in five deaths, is also under suspicion in connection to the death of a 2-year-old.
Martin Martinez Arrested For Modesto Murder Of 5 Women And Children
Martinez, 30, was arrested on Sunday after Modesto police discovered five bodies – two adults and three children – in a Nob Hill Court home on Saturday afternoon. Among the dead was Dr. Amanda Crews, with whom he had a daughter, Rachel Martinez, 6-months, who was also found dead. The other victims included Crews’ six-year-old daughter from a previous relationship, Elizabeth Ripley, a 5-year-old friend and distant family member, and Anna Brown Romero, 57, identified as Martinez’s mother. Martinez was allegedly seen driving away from the scene of the crime on Friday, and has been arrested for the murders.
Martin Martinez Also Under Investigation For Toddler Death
Following his arrest, it was revealed that, at the time of the murders, authorities were investigating Martinez in connection to the death of Christopher Ripley, 2, Crews’ son from a previous relationship. Christopher died on Oct. 2, 2014, and, on Thursday, July 17 – one day before the murders – a pathologist confirmed that the toddler had died of “blunt force trauma” to the head. Martinez had not been living with Crews and her children for at least a few months prior to the murders, and Child Protective Services had reportedly been in touch with the family after Christopher’s death.
Modesto Police Chief Galen Carroll revealed that they had been investigating Martinez in relation to Christopher’s death since 2014, but only recently got the official report from the pathologist and were planning on building a case against him. However, Carroll insisted that only a “limited” number of officials knew about the pathology report that connected Martinez to Christopher’s death, and that there is no way that the report could have motivated Martinez’s alleged murder spree.
A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
“The police department did not drop the ball. It is horrible that this tragedy happened, but there were no indications leading up to that time that anything like this would occur,” Carroll told reporters.
Carroll’s assurances have done little to assuage the community’s anger at the police for not acting sooner in the case against Martinez, an action that could have saved lives.
Sign on apt door of father. His children, ex-wife murdered. 30 y/o Martin Martinez arrested.#mapit @ModestoPolice pic.twitter.com/rzJtCs3LOT
— alan wang (@AlanWangABC7) July 21, 2015
Authorities have refrained from releasing details of the crime and murder scene, but have said that they do not have a motive yet.
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.