Madeleine McCann Update: Investigators Uncover New Leads To Reopen 3-Year-Old’s Disappearance
Madeleine McCann’s disappearance has stumped investigators for six years, but new evidence unearthed by a Scotland Yard team could finally provide some answers.
McCann was just three years old when she disappeared in Portugal while on vacation with her family in 2007. Her parents had been down the street as she slept in the vacation apartment in a Portuguese village. She went missing that night, and no trace of her has been found since.
British investigators were recently presented with over 40,000 pages of documents that delivered new leads. “There is new information not previously presented,” authorities said in a statement. “Fresh, substantive material upon which to make an appeal. It’s substantially different. It’s not just a bland ‘can you help us’ appeal, there is some different material and a different understanding.”
Included in the documents were cell phone records of all calls made in the area during the span of time in which McCann disappeared. The phone records, in addition to other information, were reportedly not thoroughly evaluated by the Portugese authorities who had discontinued their efforts to locate the young girl.
As of yet, there's still hope that McCann could be alive, according to Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood. ''There is no clear, definitive proof that Madeleine McCann is dead, so on that basis I still genuinely believe that there is a possibility that she is alive,'' he told ABC News.
Kate and Gerry McCann, Madeline’s parents, are slated to appear on British TV show Crimewatch on Oct. 14 to ask once more for the assistance of the public in learning more about what happened to their daughter.
– Chelsea Regan