Legal Action Threatened Against Fan Who Made Concert Film From Frank Ocean’s Disastrous Coachella Performance
The producer of Coachella, AEG, has threatened legal action against an editor who created a concert film using footage from Frank Ocean‘s perplexing April 16 festival performance.
Brian Kinnes, 26, pieced together about 150 videos uploaded by Coachella attendees to social media in order to make a complete film that spans Ocean’s full 80-minute set. He reportedly spent 80 hours editing the film and working with a sound engineer to combine the audio files. Kinnes released the film on YouTube last week.
He consequently received a cease and desist order from AEG, which ordered Kinnes to “remove and destroy all audio and video content… of musical performances from the Festival.”
Kinnes, a lead editor at Simone Films, chose to make the concert film after YouTube made a last-minute announcement that Ocean’s performance would not air on its Coachella live stream, letting down fans who wanted to watch the singer’s first live performance in six years.
A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
The film was taken down from YouTube after a report by Rico Management, a copyright holder, was filed. However, Kinnes also had links to the video on his website where fans could download the video for free. These links have now been removed.
Before the cease and desist order, Kinnes said that he was not worried about legal consequences because he does not plan to make money off of his film. However, after AEG told Kinnes to remove the video, he did delete it. Kinnes later noted that the video would most likely still be online due to the people who downloaded the film before it was shut down.
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.