Two days after being announced as the host of the upcoming 91st Academy Awards, actor Kevin Hart has stepped down from his position after facing backlash when some of his old tweets began to surface on Thursday.

The tweets that surfaced, date back to 2009 through 2011 and they include derogatory language about gays. In one of the tweets from 2011, among many that have been deleted, Hart said, “Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay’.”

The actor has also been called out on homophobic jokes that had been included in his earlier stand-up sets. 

When the backlash began, Hart took to Instagram to explain that he’d evolved.

“My team calls me, ‘Oh my God, Kevin, everyone’s upset by tweets you did years ago, Guys, I’m almost 40 years old,” he said. “If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain the past, then do you. I’m the wrong guy, man. I’m in a great place. A great mature place where all I do is spread positivity.”

View this post on Instagram

Stop looking for reasons to be negative…Stop searching for reasons to be angry….I swear I wish you guys could see/feel/understand the mental place that I am in. I am truly happy people….there is nothing that you can do to change that…NOTHING. I work hard on a daily basis to spread positivity to all….with that being said. If u want to search my history or past and anger yourselves with what u find that is fine with me. I’m almost 40 years old and I’m in love with the man that I am becoming. You LIVE and YOU LEARN & YOU GROW & YOU MATURE. I live to Love….Please take your negative energy and put it into something constructive. Please….What’s understood should never have to be said. I LOVE EVERYBODY…..ONCE AGAIN EVERYBODY. If you choose to not believe me then that’s on you….Have a beautiful day

A post shared by Kevin Hart (@kevinhart4real) on

He then posted another video explaining that he would not apologize, despite The Academy asking him to do so. Instead, Hart said he had chosen to forfeit his host duties and that he didn’t want to contribute to “feeding the internet trolls.”

“So, I just got a call from the Academy, and that call basically said, ‘Kevin, apologize for your tweets of old or we’re going to have to move on and find another host,’” Hart said. “I chose to pass, I passed on the apology. The reason why I passed is because I’ve addressed this several times.”

“I’m not going to continue to go back and tap into the days of old when I’ve moved on and I’m in a completely different space in my life,” Hart continued.

“I’m going to be me; I’m going to stand my ground. Regardless, Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If that goes away, no harm, no foul,” he concluded. 

Hours later, the 39-year-old actor’s tone had completely changed. 

“I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past,” the Central Intelligence star wrote on Twitter, also announcing that he would step down as host of the Oscars.

Within the same minute, Hart issued a second apology through a follow-up tweet, “I’m sorry that I hurt people.. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again,” he wrote.

This is not the first time Hart has addressed controversy over social media. As just last year, he came forward about cheating on his then-pregnant wife, Eniko Parrish.

50 CELEBRITIES WHO DIED IN 2018 – TRIBUTE SLIDESHOW

The Academy has yet to speak on Hart’s departure and their plans for a new host.