Johnny Depp’s ‘Rango’ Debuts Big At The Box Office
It was a good weekend for newcomers at the movies, as the Top 3 films of the weekend had their debut on Friday. Johnny Depp’s animated western Rango took the number one spot with an impressive $38 million, followed by the Matt Damon and Emily Blunt thriller The Adjustment Bureau and Beastly, Alex Pettyfer’s modern take on the fairy tale of Beauty and the Beast, which brought in $20.9 million and $10.1 million, respectively. Pettyfer's sci-fi romance I Am Number Four came in at number nine, landing him two Top 10 movies for the week.
The King’s Speech is still reaping benefits of its big Oscar night. The Academy Award winner for Best Picture took home $6.5 million, reaching a total of $123 million since its release in December. Its the only Oscar nominated picture to linger in the Top 10. Adam Sandler's Just Go With It and Justin Bieber's 3-D musical experience Never Say Never rounded out the weekend's most popular films.
Read below for full box office totals:
Title, Weekend Gross; Total
1. Rango, $38 million; $38 million
2. The Adjustment Bureau, $20.9 mil; $20.9 mil
3. Beastly, $10.1 mil; $10.1 mil
4. Hall Pass, $9 mil; $27 mil
5. Gnomeo and Juliet, $6.9 mil; $83.6 mil
6. Unknown, $6.6 mil; $53.1 mil
7. The King’s Speech, $6.5 mil; $123.8 mil
8. Just Go With It, 6.5 mil; $88.2 mil
9. I Am Number Four, $5.7 mil; $46.4 mil
10. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, $4.3 mil; $68.8 mil