Johnny Depp To Introduce ‘New Evidence’ Denying Abuse Of Ex-Wife Amber Heard
Johnny Depp is fighting his ex-wife Amber Heard in court once again. In an exclusive statement to Us Weekly on Tuesday, Depp’s lawyer Adam Waldman said that he has filed “new and previously unseen evidence with the U.K. court,” and has given Heard an opportunity to do so as well.
Although Depp and Heard’s heated divorce was settled in August of 2016, these files are being presented in an ongoing lawsuit between Depp and the U.K. based tabloid, The Sun, whom Depp is suing for alleged libel after an April 2018 article called him a “wife-beater” and questioned J.K. Rowling‘s decision to stand by the Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald actor.
Depp’s claim to have new evidence opens up a case that made headlines in the midst of Hollywood’s #metoo movement and had many people questioning Depp’s reputation. Beginning in May 2016 when Heard initially filed for divorce and was granted a temporary restraining order, the divorce proceedings lasted until August, with Heard accusing her now-ex-husband of physical abuse and Depp vehemently denying all accusations. In August, both parties signed a non-disclosure agreement and Heard was awarded a $7 million payout, which she pledged to donate to charity.
But in October of 2018, British GQ ran a feature detailing Depp’s side of the story, causing uproar from Heard’s legal team, who claimed Depp was in breach of their NDA. The article, along with the statement of support for Depp’s casting from Rowling and the Crimes of Grindelwald producers, brought the whole case back into the limelight.
On Tuesday, Depp’s lawyer said that the new evidence includes “security camera video clips of Ms. Heard’s face in the days following her false beating claims, sworn depositions taken in 2016 from neighbors, eyewitnesses and building personnel who interacted with Ms. Heard in the ensuing days, and more,” according to Us Weekly. Depp’s team will present the evidence to the U.K. court as part of Depp’s £200,000 lawsuit with The Sun that has been ongoing since April of 2018. Heard’s legal team has yet to respond to the news.