'Hop' Continues To Roll Over Competition At Box Office
Moviegoers seemed partial to an animated Russell Brand rather than the real thing over the weekend. The English comedian's Hop with James Marsden, in which he lends his voice to an animated rabbit, continued to roll over the competition, including Brand's own remake of Arthur. While Hop pulled in $21.6 million in its second week in release, the updated take on the Dudley Moore classic fell far behind, earning only $12.6 million.
Despite four new releases landing within the Top 10, each film had a modest opening weekend. Following behind Arthur were action thriller Hanna, and Soul Surfer, the true story of surfer Bethany Hamilton, which rounded out the Top 5 with $12.3 and $11.1 million, respectively. Fellow newcomer Your Highness, the medieval farce starring Danny McBride and James Franco, had a slightly disappointing opening, with just $9.5 million in ticket sales. –EMILY EXTON
Read below for full box office totals:
Title, Weekend Gross; Total
A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
1. Hop, $21.6 million; $68.1 million
2. Arthur, $12.6 mil; $12.6 mil
3. Hanna, $12.3 mil; $12.3 mil
4. Soul Surfer, $11.1 mil; $11.1 mil
5. Insidious, $9.7 mil; $27 mil
6. Your Highness, $9.5 mil; $9.5 mil
7. Source Code, $9 mil; $28.6 mil
8. Limitless, $5.6 mil; $64.3 mil
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, $4.8 mil; $45.4 mil
10. The Lincoln Lawyer, $4.6 mil; $46.4 mil
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.