George Zimmerman Trial Juror B29: He ‘Got Away With Murder’
George Zimmerman trial juror B29, whose first name is Maddy, didn’t necessarily agree with the not guilty verdict she and the five others came to and announced before the court.
Maddy, the only minority on the all-female 6-person jury panel, initially believed that Zimmerman should have been convicted of second-degree murder in the shooting death of the 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in February 2012. However, when it came time to voting on the 29-year-old’s fate, she felt as though the law tied her hands.
"George Zimmerman got away with murder," she told Good Morning America’s Robin Roberts. "But you can't get away from God. And at the end of the day, he's going to have a lot of questions and answers he has to deal with. [But] the law couldn't prove it."
"I was the juror that was going to give them the hung jury. I fought to the end," she added. "That's where I felt confused, where if a person kills someone, then you get charged for it. But as the law was read to me, if you have no proof that he killed him intentionally, you can't say he's guilty."
Maddy, 36, is of Puerto Rican descent and works as a nursing assistant. She has eight children of her own. Naturally, she feels the weight of the decision she had to agree to and the effect that will undoubtedly have on Martin’s parents. “I was forcefully included in Trayvon Martin's death,” she told Roberts. “And as I carry him on my back, I'm hurting as much as Trayvon's Martin's mother because there's no way that any mother should feel that pain.”
Soon after the trial ended, juror B37 became the first juror to offer her thoughts on the case. She stated her feeling that Zimmerman had been “justified” in shooting the unarmed Martin in an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper. Following B37’s controversial statement, four other members of the jury released a statement stating that they did not agree with her.
Zimmerman stood trial for less than a month before he was acquitted of both second-degree murder and manslaughter on grounds of self-defense. However, he is likely to face a number of civil suits in the future. The U.S. Department of Justice has already launched a civil rights investigation into the slaying, reported the Orlando Sentinel. On Monday, boxes of evidence from the case were delivered to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Orlando office.
For More George Zimmerman Trail News: