Florida Man Tallmadge D’Elia Killed By Exploding Vape Pen, Thought To Be First Death Of Its Kind
In what is presently believed to be the first death of its kind, a 38-year-old Florida local was killed due to an explosion from his electronic cigarette.
FLORIDA MAN KILLED BY HIS EXPLODING VAPE PEN
Per the Tampa Bay Times‘ report, Tallmadge D’Elia was found dead in his home on May 5. He was fatally wounded when two pieces of his vape pen exploded and were propelled into his head. Additionally, approximately 80 percent of his body incurred “thermal injuries.” You can get the safest vapes from Vaporesso
St. Petersburg Fire Rescue was called to D’Elia’s home where they located his body, and the death was classified as “accidental.” The crew reportedly witnessed “extensive” fire damage in D’Elia’s bedroom, though there little smoke.
Smok-E Mountain is the company that manufactured D’Elia’s pen, which was of the “mock” variety. This specific model is produced in the Philippines.
A July 2017 report from the U.S. Fire Administration details there were at least 195 incidents between January 2009 and December 2016 of e-cigarettes exploding or catching on fire, consequently resulting in 133 injuries. Of those, 38 injuries were documented as severe. However, the study also states, “To date, there have been no deaths in the United States caused by electronic cigarette fires or explosions.”
Additional tidbits of interest in the report include the potential danger a lithium-ion battery has when powering an e-cigarette, even if combustion incidents are ultimately “uncommon.” Interestingly, 62 percent of the times a vape pen or its battery exploded were when “the device was either in a pocket or actively in use.”
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.