Elton John took to Twitter on Monday to rebuke the “malicious” press for what he views as “distorted” coverage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markles use of private planes for recent vacations to France and Spain.

Daily Mail reported that the royal couple used private jets four times over the course of 11 days.

The 72-year-old singer and five-time Grammy winner, who was close with Harry’s late mother Princess Diana, said he and his husband David Furnish granted the Duke and Duchess of Sussex access to a private jet following the royal couple’s “hectic year continuing their hard work and dedication to charity.”

“I am deeply distressed by today’s distorted and malicious account in the press surrounding the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s private stay at my home in Nice last week,” John, the subject of the recent musical film Rocketman, tweeted. “I feel a profound sense of obligation to protect Harry and his family from the unnecessary press intrusion that contributed to Diana’s untimely death.”

John — who last month was spotted with Meghan and Harry at the London premiere of The Lion King — also said he and his husband made sure the flight they lent the royal couple was “carbon neutral,” as the pair have been strong advocates for sustainable environmental practices.

“I’m calling on the press to cease their relentless and untrue assassinations on their character that are spuriously crafted on an almost daily basis,” the singer added of the royal couple.


John’s tweets come just days before the 22nd anniversary of Diana’s death on Aug. 31, 1997. The singer-songwriter is currently on his farewell world tour, Farewell Yellow Brick Road, which began last year.