E. Jean Carroll Plans To Sue Donald Trump For Rape Under N.Y.’s New Adult Survivors Act
Because of a new law in New York State, the journalist E. Jean Carroll has announced that she’ll be suing Donald Trump for rape, years after she went public with the claims that he raped her in a department store dressing room in the 1990s.
The Adult Survivors Act, which was signed into New York law by Gov. Kathy Hochul, provides sexual assault survivors a one-year window to make legal claims against their abusers despite the usual statute of limitations on crimes.
Carroll had previously sued Trump for defamation after he denied her story, and her attorney Roberta A. Kaplan has indicated that she hopes to have both cases tried together sometime in early 2023. The window for survivors to file their claims begins on November 24 of this year.
Kaplan also said in this new filing that they will be requesting a deposition from Trump, and accused the defense of having “barely participated” in discovery processes where both parties exchange documents. She elaborated that their responses to some questions were “boilerplate” and that his team was late in turning over materials.
Carroll is a highly-regarded writer who had a long-running advice column on Elle titled “Ask E. Jean,” and was the first female contributing editor to Playboy. She is also one of multiple women who accused former CBS executive Les Moonves of sexual assault. She said he assaulted her in an elevator while she was interviewing him for a story.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.