It has been six months since thirty-four-year-old David Dowell died after eating a gecko and getting salmonella. Doctors are still searching for answers about his death.

On December 1, 2018, Dowell went to a Christmas party and woke up the next morning feeling sick, thinking maybe it was just a cold. Hannah Dowell, David’s sister, shared with The Sydney Morning Herald that her brother was throwing up something green two days later. Dowell’s partner, Allira, then revealed to the doctors that Dowell had eaten a gecko the night before.

Hannah told The Sydney Morning Herald that the doctor said, “It’s possible that if the gecko was eaten, as it was being digested, the salmonella was released, but I have never heard of anything like this before.”

Dowell was diagnosed with the salmonella infection on December 4 and was taken into surgery on December 11 but died during surgery.


A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“It was like they didn’t really care,” Hannah told the Herald. “The moment he got moved into the intensive care unit, that’s when they got serious.”

Hannah continues to demand answers about her brother’s death. “I want justice for David… or just answers,” she said. “You don’t ever think anything like this could happen to you and then it does.”


Leave a comment

Read more about: