Daily Digest

Judge Denies Ex-Rep. George Santos’ Request To Dismiss Charges Against Him In Fraud Case

Federal Judge Joanna Seybert declined former Rep. George Santos’ (R-New York) request to dismiss some of the fraud charges against him.

On July 19, Seybert denied Santos’ motion, ruling that he failed to meet the legal standards. 

Santos sought to have the charges of aggravated identity theft and theft of public money dropped—three of the 23 charges against him.

The aggravated identity theft charges relate to accusations that Santos used campaign donors’ credit card information to make frequent contributions they did not authorize.

Prosecutors say he also attempted to hide the source of the money – and avoid campaign contribution limits – by listing the donations as coming from some of his relatives and associates without their approval.

Santos’ lawyers claimed in court filings that the aggravated identity theft charges were invalid because, from the defense’s perspective, the allegations added up only to overcharging credit card accounts, which were willingly given to him.

Prosecutors rejected that argument. In filings, they stated that the former representative had not just “used” the credit card information but “abused it, with specific intent to defraud” it to make his campaign coffers look fuller.

The theft of public funds charge is related to his alleged unemployment fraud.

Santos’ lawyers stated that the charge improperly combined many alleged criminal schemes and transactions. 

In other cases, courts have stated that this combination is not allowed for different reasons, including the possibility that jurors could convict on the charge while thinking a defendant is guilty of only part of it.

Prosecutors in the ex-representative’s case said the theft of public funds charge against him asserts “a single continuing scheme.”

Santos is scheduled to go on trial in September in Central Islip, New York.

On April 23, Santos announced that he terminated his independent campaign for a congressional seat.

In March, He intended to run as an independent candidate for New York’s First Congressional District.

A recent campaign filing showed that he raised $0 during the first quarter.

On June 18, Santos declared on social media that he was joining OnlyFans by teasing his followers with the message: “The moment you’ve all been waiting for!”

He promised to share “full behind-the-scenes access to everything [he is] working on” exclusively through OnlyFans.

Within an hour, the ex-representative explained that his content would not be adult in nature.

Alessio Atria

Recent Posts

VIDEO: Researchers Stunned To See Octopus Hitching A Ride On Back Of A Shark

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UTnTQEk-dEU A research team from the University of Auckland was out studying feeding frenzies when…

5 hours ago

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: Oklahoma City Bombing Survivor Amy Down Shares Her Memories Of The Attack

"For the first time I looked around I could see and I just remember thinking…

6 hours ago

Meghan Trainor Comes Clean About Using Weight-Loss Drug Mounjaro After Persistent Rumors

At the 2025 Billboard Women in Music event on Saturday, March 29, Trainor told Entertainment…

8 hours ago

Meghan Markle Defends Her Numerous Business Ventures In Post-Royal Career: ‘I Need to Work’

​ Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex, has addressed criticism regarding her numerous business ventures…

10 hours ago

Macaulay Culkin Says He Hasn’t Spoken To Dad In Decades: ‘I Think He Kinda Hated Me’

Culkin previously accused his father of emotional and physical abuse, an allegation that led to…

13 hours ago

Hunter Biden Agrees To Give Up His Law License In Washington, D.C.

Former President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, has agreed to surrender his license to practice…

15 hours ago