Cory Monteith’s Cause Of Death: Lethal Combination Of Heroin And Alcohol
Cory Monteith’s cause of death has been confirmed as a lethal mix of alcohol and heroin.
Monteith, who was 31, was found dead in his hotel room in Vancouver on July 13. His autopsy was performed on July 15, and the results were expedited given the Glee star’s high-profile case. Though it was speculated that results could take weeks, the announcement of his cause of death came on July 16. “Cause of death was a mixed drug toxicity, and it involved heroin, primarily, and also alcohol, ” said Barbara McLintock, a coroner at the BC Coroners Service.
Though the cause of death has been determined, the coroner plans to keep investigating and asks, on behalf of Monteith’s family, that privacy be maintained. His family was notified before the announcement went public.
A week of entertainment news in your in-box.
We find the news you need to know, so you don't have to.
Monteith was in Vancouver to see friends and family when he died. Days before his death, he was spotted in public drinking with friends. Witnesses say he drank three beers over the course of a few hours – despite his recent stint in rehab in April of this year.
Friends, including occasional Glee director Adam Shankman, were shocked by Monteith’s sudden death. “I had several interactions with him yesterday [July 13] where he said that he was doing amazing,” Shankman told CNN. “He even said ‘I am feeling fantastic.’ I’m like everybody else, really devastated and confused by what happened.”
Monteith has struggled with drug and alcohol addiction for most of his life. He began using at the age of 13, and completed his first stint in rehab at 19. Until his time in rehab this year, he’d reportedly been clean and sober.
Monteith is survived by his real-life girlfriend and Glee costar Lea Michele, whose rep has asked for privacy for the star.
— Ava Butler
Get the most-revealing celebrity conversations with the uInterview podcast!
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.