‘Black-ish’ Star Anthony Anderson Denies Allegation Of Sexual Assault
Anthony Anderson, lead actor on ABC‘s hit TV series Black-ish is currently being investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department for an allegation of sexual assault. On Friday, July 20, 2018, The Blast wrote that, earlier this year, the alleged victim filed a report that Anderson had sexually assaulted her a year prior. Anderson has denied the allegation.
The alleged victim said that she met Anderson while she was catering an event that he hosted last year. According to The Blast, the two later met again to “discuss future business opportunities” and that this is when the assault occurred. On Saturday, July 21, 2018, a spokesperson for the LAPD told ABC News, “We have a crime report listing him as the subject of a crime. It is an open investigation.” The police did not release any further details. A source close to the situation informed The Blast that the alleged victim felt encouraged to come forward with her story, due in part to the #MeToo movement.
A spokesperson for Anderson spoke to ABC News, “It’s unfortunate that anyone can file a police report whether it’s true or false. The authorities have not contacted Anthony or any of his representatives about this matter. Anthony unequivocally disputes the claim.” The allegations have come to light shortly after Anderson received an Emmy Award nomination for best lead actor in a comedy series. This is Anderson’s fourth nomination for the category in four years.
This is not the first time that Anderson has been accused of sexual assault. In 2004, Entertainment Weekly reported that Anderson and Kangaroo Jack assistant director Wayne Witherspoon had been charged with rape. An extra on the set of the movie Hustle & Flow accused the actor and director of raping her in a trailer. Memphis Judge Anthony Johnson dropped the charges at the preliminary hearing, saying that there was no probable cause.