Anthony Weiner Announces NYC Mayoral Run
Anthony Weiner, the disgraced former U.S. Representative, announced that he would seek the office of mayor of New York City in a YouTube video on his website Tuesday evening.
“Look, I’ve made some big mistakes and I know I’ve let a lot of people down. But I’ve also learned some tough lessons,” Weiner says in the video. “I’m running for mayor because I’ve been fighting for the middle class and those struggling to make it for my entire life. And I hope I get a second chance to work for you.”
Back in 2011, Weiner was the center of a sex scandal, which derailed his political career. He was accused of, and eventually admitted to, sending lewd photos and messages to a number of women. Initially, Weiner claimed that his Twitter had been hacked and refused to take responsibility. When he did eventually own up to his actions, he resigned from Congress.
After spending over $100,000 on polling and research, Weiner admitted last month that he was considering entering NYC’s upcoming mayoral race. In April, he also released a document called “Keys to the City” that outlined 64 ideas for ways to revitalize the city’s middle class. It’s similar to the plan he had released back in 2009, before he dropped out of the race when a law change allowed Bloomberg to run for a third term. He also launched a failed mayoral campaign in 2005.
Christie Quinn is the current frontrunner to become New York City’s next mayor, and according to polling data, would be ahead of Weiner by double-digits. Declining to reference the new mayoral candidate by name, Quinn said on Wednesday, “This race, I don't care who's in it, is about what the candidates have done for New York's middle class and what our vision is for New York's middle class moving forward.
"And I don't care who enters the race. Nobody has a better, stronger, clearer record of delivering for working class and middle class New Yorkers than I do, and nobody has the set of specific ideas, plans and visions like I do."