Errol Spence, Jr. Video Interview, U.S. Olympic Boxer
U.S. Olympic boxer Errol Spence Jr., 22, found himself in the middle of controversy during the 2012 London Olympics when his defeat at the hands of India’s Krishan Vikas, 20, was overturned by the International Amateur Boxing Association after video evidence revealed that points had been miscalculated. Spence Jr. went on to lose his quarterfinal match against Russia’s Andrey Zamkovoy, 25.
Going into the games, Spence Jr. had developed an intense training regimen. “I run more sprints, more miles, go more intense on the bag, more bag work, hit the mitts more, just pick up the intensity right to another level,” he told Uinterview exclusively.
Despite his defeat, Spence Jr. ranks as the number one amateur boxer in the United States and fifth in the world — an impressive accomplishment considering he took up the sport when he was only 15. By the time he was 21, Spence Jr. had already won three consecutive U.S. amateur welterweight championships. “When I first picked up the gloves, I was more thinking about going pro and getting that world title, winning the world title," Spence told FOX Sports Southwest. "As I got more into it and learned more about amateur boxing, one of my dreams was getting the gold medal."
Despite his loss, Spence Jr., born in Dallas, Tex., felt honored to represent the United States. “It’s a great moment to be wearing that flag. It’s a privilege that I’ll be wearing the American flag and representing the red, white and blue, the greatest country on earth,” he told Uinterview. “I’m just enjoying the moment right now, just soaking it all in.”
| Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App To Record Celebrity Video Questions + Get Daily News Updates here!
- Q: How do you size up an opponent in the boxing ring? - Uinterview User
- A: I take the first minute of the round to size up my opponent and figure out what he does and just break him down. If he throws the jab good, or if he’s aggressive, or he likes to box. And whatever he does I just adjust to it.
- Q: What will your workout look like right before the 2012 games? - Uinterview User
- A: I’m going to pick up the work load. I run more sprints, more miles, go more intense on the bag, more bag work, hit the mitts more, just pick up the intensity right to another level.
- Q: How do you prepare yourself mentally for competition? - Uinterview User
- A: I don’t have a ritual that I really do. I might listen to my iPod, or I might look at some fights on YouTube of past fighters.
- Q: How do you react to the media attention that you have received? - Uinterview User
- A: It means a lot to me to do this, but of course I’m a quiet guy, so it’s kind of hard, but you just got to adapt and open up, because this is part of the game too.
- Q: What is it like to train with Joseph Diaz and Rau’shee Warren? - Uinterview User
- A: They bring a lot to USA boxing. They’re very good guys, fun to be around, funny, and never too serious unless we have a competition coming up. And they’re good friends of mine. As soon as we met, we clicked just like that.
- Q: How does it feel to be a member of the US Olympic team? - Uinterview User
- A: It’s a great moment to be wearing that flag. It’s a privilege that I’ll be wearing the American flag and representing the red, white and blue, the greatest country on earth. I’m just enjoying the moment right now, just soaking it all in.
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Will Ferrell And Chirstina Applegate Film ‘Anchorman: The Legend Continues’
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV