Topher Grace And Malin Akerman Video Interview On 'Giant Mechanical Man'
The making of The Giant Mechanical Man brought together big-name talents Topher Grace, 34, Malin Akerman, 34, Rich Sommer, 34, Jenna Fischer, 38, and Chris Messina, 38, for what the actors describe as an indie extravaganza. “Independent cinema is more precious now than it kind of has ever been. I remember there was a huge surge growing up in the 90s. Even now, there are some independent films that still have $20 million budgets,” Grace told Uinterview exclusively. “This is a very independent film that has the tone necessary to convey what these characters are really thinking and feeling that normal studio films just wouldn’t allow.”
Akerman, recently seen in Rock of Ages with Tom Cruise, was attracted to Giant Mechanical Man for its strong endorsement of individualism. “I really like that message of it, that it’s sort of like, you can find someone who appreciates what you do instead of trying to conform and become what society wants you to become,” Akerman told Uinterview. “I just thought it was really beautiful that he just felt that it was part of him and that’s who he is. To stick to that within this society is not easy.”
Get Uinterview's FREE iPhone App To Record Celebrity Video Questions + Get Daily News Updates here!
- Q: Do you think there was a message behind this film? - Uinterview User
- A: GRACE: Yeah, I thought the tone of the film was a kind of tone that Iâve always loved that are really independent films, and independent cinema is more precious now than it kind of has ever been. There was a huge surge when I was growing up in the 90s, and even now there are films coming out that have a $20 million budget. This is a very independent film, it has the tone necessary to convey what these characters are really thinking and feeling that normal studio films wouldnât allow. Really, to see it is to understand what that tone is and what it is saying, but it couldnât exist outside of this, this kind of petri dish. AKERMAN: What I really like about it is the fact that Chris Messinaâs character is this giant mechanical man, heâs not willing to give that up because he really believes in it and thatâs his creative outlet and thatâs who he is and who he loves. I really liked that message of it, that you can find someone who appreciates what you do, instead of trying to conform and become what society wants you to become. And I just thought it was really beautiful that he kind of felt that that was part of him and thatâs who he is, and to stick to that within this society is not easy so I liked that.
- Q: Do you model your character on yourself or anyone you know? - Uinterview User
- A: SOMMER: I didnât, I mean I, it was a pretty good scene, it was totally pretty clear from the thing. Malin, did you? AKERMAN: I can definitely say that I have met the type before, who is a bit pushy and what not, but having said that, I think that there is this, I have three younger siblings so there are four of us, and you know, Iâve changed their diapers and watched them grow up. You kind of have an idea of who your siblings are, but then they grow up and they change, but you still treat them the same way, so I kind of felt that that was the relationship here with Jillâs and Janiceâs, that sheâs always worked to try and get Janice and become more social and that has sort of been her problem in her life, until Janice finally says âfine, back off. Iâm happy, I can do my own thing,â so I think that rang true within the family unit. GRACE: I TiVo'd everything from like three to five a.m. that just said paid programming and it's Tony Robbins, or theâ ShamWow!â guy, this is the guy with all the question marks that runs up to the camera. I think itâs a very interesting type of person that pushes himself or herself on people and says, âNot only do I have my entire life figured out, but Iâm going to tell you how to figure out your life,â and then the way they speak is very convincing, and one of the things that happened, at the very beginning I was making a mental checklist and I said, 'Ok, Iâm going to make fun of them this way, and by the end of the half hour, Iâm calling in to try to get the tapes or whatever. They talk to you into submission. You really feel like you need the personal power of the tapes or whatever.
- Q: Where there any moments on set that were especially memorable? - Uinterview User
- A: SOMMER: We had a very nice chemistry, the three of us especially, and as much fun as we had shooting it, for me, the most memorable parts were when we werenÃ¢t shooting and I just kept playing around with these guys . GRACE: IÃ¢ll tell you right now what it was. Ok, Rich and I are going to be honest. We are going to [Benihana's]. We are going to Benihana's with those guys and this girl [Akerman] is going with us, youÃ¢ll be seeing us in Maxim Magazine this week, this girl is cool enough to come with us and by the way, the chef, the whole thing, was there a chef? There was a chef right? AKERMAN: It was great. The only thing I will say about Benihana's is, I feel guilty because I donÃ¢t want to talk while theyÃ¢re doing their show, and they kept talking so I was like Ã¢guys, shhh!Ã¢ I think we had such a good time together. SOMMER: We did, it was nice. I have to say, there was one moment that was really memorable. It was when we were shooting, we werenÃ¢t even in the scene but Chris MessinaÃ¢s character is at a train station where Jennifer sees him and kind of just stands there and watches him. It was such a beautiful moment, the scenery, you saw the art of it all, you kind of appreciated what these street performers do and that was just a really really beautiful visual moment that IÃ¢ll remember.
Most Popular Videos
Scarlett Johansson And Joseph Gordon-Levitt On 'Don Jon,' Sex Scenes
Matt Bomer & Marisa Coughlan On 'Space Station 76,' SXSW
Billy Crudup On 'Blood Ties,' Clive Owen, Zoe Saldana
Dave Barry On 'You Can Date Boys When You Are Forty,' Justin Bieber
Jason Schwartzman On 'The Grand Budapest Hotel,' Wes Anderson, Jeff Goldblum
Top Comedy Videos
Most Popular News
- Mimi Faust Releases Sex Tape With 'Love & Hip Hop Atlanta' Boyfriend Nikko Smith
- Game Of Thrones: Who Killed King Joffrey Baratheon?
- Leonardo DiCaprio Takes Girlfriend Toni Garrn To Beverly Hills Farmers Market
- Saoirse Ronan Films 'Brooklyn'
- Hugh Hefner Celebrates 88th Birthday With 'Casablanca' Party At Playboy Mansion