Adam Brody & Alia Shawkat Video Interview On 'The Oranges'
In The Oranges, Adam Brody and Alia Shawkat play siblings whose parents’ marriage has hit a rough patch after their father (Hugh Laurie) cheats on their mother (Catherine Keener) with the neighbors’ (Oliver Platt and Allison Janney) daughter (Leighton Meester). The film follows the aftermath of this unsettling, yet also comedic, event. "It is a sort of holiday movie and even though it’s not your ideal, quintessential relationship perhaps, I do think the overall message is one of love and family," Brody told Uinterview exclusively.
Brody, 32, grew up in San Diego, Calif. Not studious in high school, Brody spent much of his time at the beach and dropped out of community college after one year. When he was 19, he moved to Hollywood to pursue acting. After a number of smaller parts, Brody landed a recurring role in Gilmore Girls, as Dave Rygalski. His big break came the following year, in 2003, when he was cast as Seth Cohen in the Fox teen drama The O.C. He received three Teen Choice Awards for his turn as Cohen, as well as one award, for Choice TV Chemistry, with O.C. star and former girlfriend Rachel Bilson. Since that time Brody has appeared in popular films such as Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Thank You for Smoking and Whit Stillman’s Damsels in Distress. A man of many talents, Brody also plays drums in the band Big Japan and has co-written a comic book miniseries, Red Menace.
Shawkat, 23, who was raised in Palm Springs, Calif., quickly followed in the acting footsteps of her father, Tony Shawkat, and grandfather, Paul Burke, making small appearances in the drama JAG and the war film Three Kings. Shawkat’s career took off when she was cast as Maybe Funke in the the critically acclaimed Fox comedy Arrested Development, which ran from 2003-2006. She will reprise her role when the series returns for a fourth season in 2013. As of late, Shawkwat's film presence has grown, as she has recently appeared in Ruby Sparks, Cedar Rapids, and Damsels in Distress, alongside her The Oranges costar.
- Q: Hi, this is Brenda from Naperville. I want to know how all of you felt about a relationship between generations, as in the movie. Is it true love or is it more of an infatuation? - Uinterview
- A: BRODY: No, I think it can succeed until he dies of old age. But until then, yeah, why not? SHAWKAT: Yeah, I think people connect on a level that you can’t always categorize by age or color or size or ethnicity. So, yeah I guess it’s just based off of the timing and people being good for each other.
- Q: Hi, my name is Gabby, and I'm from France. My question is, what is your favorite scene in this movie? - Uinterview
- A: BRODY: I’m not in it as much, but for me I remember we have this one early dinner table scene, which took all day, but every main cast member is in it. And it took the whole day to film and we’re all at this table together for the entire day and that was just — we've got a lot of outsized, really warm, really funny personalities, so it was just kind of a joy. SHAWKAT: Everyone is a very strong character in real life, as well, so on set it was always a very high-energy hanging out, either if it was Oliver [Platt] showing me an app and telling me funny stories from theater days or hearing Allison’s [Janney] laugh; she has such an awesome laugh. Everyone was just so charming.
- Q: Hi, I am Sylvia from Argentina, and I was wondering, what do you think is the best message that viewers can take away from the film? - Uinterview - Uinterview
- A: BRODY: I think just sort of about acceptance and maybe questioning the status quo, I guess. But ideally I think it’s about, you know, it is a sort of holiday movie and even though it’s not your ideal, quintessential relationship, perhaps, I do think the overall message is one of love and family.
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
- Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, Jorma Taccone On The Lonely Island, 'The Wack Album'
Top Comedy Videos
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- ‘Man Of Steel’ Makes World Premiere In New York City