Hung's Thomas Jane On His Penis, Getting Naked On-Screen
The star of HBO's new hit series Hung, Thomas Jane plays a basketball coach who makes the most of his extra-large endowment. Here, Jane has a playful chat with Uinterview, in which he demonstrates his super-sized sense of humor and talks about his new movie, The Dark Country, out on DVD October 6.
- Q: What did you think when your agent first told you about Hung? - Uinterview
- A: My wife [Medium’s Patricia Arquette] reads everything I do. And I showed her this thing I’d been doing, The Mist, which is about creatures from another dimension. And then I showed her this script called Hung, about a guy with a giant dick. And she said, “Great, more science fiction!”
- Q: Why do think the show has resonated with people so much? - Uinterview
- A: Yeah, they are a little insecure about their penises. We are born to be insecure about [our] penises. I was actually quite happy with mine until I did Hung. Now I don’t know what to think of it, maybe I’m not big enough. I was basically really happy with mine, now I’ve got all these issues and I have to go see a shrink. [laughs] It’s a unique scenario playing a man with a large penis. I didn’t know my penis was going to be famous along with me! If I had known he was going to be famous, I would have treated him better in my younger years – I wouldn’t have rubbed him on the carpet so much and gotten that horrible rug burn. I would have treated him a lot better.
- Q: What do you think it says about the changing position of men in our society today? - Uinterview
- A: There are only a few positions that you can achieve with any comfort – they’ve been around since the dawn of time – the missionary position, there’s doggy style and there’s the cowboy. They are all great. I prefer 69 – I can feel love making at molecular level.
- Q: What are some of the challenges working on set with all of the sex scenes? - Uinterview
- A: I feel very comfortable naked. I just feel comfortable when I’m nude. So I shoot in the nude, which becomes a problem during the teaching scenes – you have to add in the clothes digitally later. Those computer guys like a challenge.
- Q: Do you get lots strange reactions from your fans? - Uinterview
- A: I know now what it’s like to be a woman because I now have to say during a conversation, ‘Hey my eyes are up here!’ They don’t even know that they are doing this. They look at me like they would someone on TV – ‘No actually I can see you too, this reality thing goes both ways.’
- Q: Tell us a bit about your background. How did you get your started in acting? - Uinterview
- A: To be serious for a moment, I came out to Hollywood Boulevard when I was 18 years old, and I looked at the stars on the sidewalk, and I didn’t know anybody. I know I wanted to be an actor. I knew I could be good at it. I didn’t have a place to live, so slept on park benches, in welfare hotels, lawn mower sheds, and I got little parts in commercials because my buddy’s dad directed commercials. I got my SAG [Screen Actor’s Guild] card when I was 24, I think. I worked my way up the ladder every step of the rung.
- Q: You’ve directed a movie called The Dark Country. Tell us about it. - Uinterview
- A: [stops to light a cigar] Smoking costs more than I would have spent in a week on food when I was a struggling actor. I love every puff of it. Dark Country is in 3-D. It comes out on video October 6. I’m really f---ing excited about it. It’s unfortunately not in 3D. Technology hasn’t kept up with us. But in a few years, you are going to be able to watch 3D movies on your Blu-Ray player. All your TVs are going to have a 3D button, and you are going be able to slip in a regular old Blu-Ray disc into a regular old Blu-Ray player and watch a movie in 3D. And mine is one of the first – if not the first – purely digital live-action movies ever made. It’s a Hitchcock/David Lynch style thriller. It’s got film noir elements. It’s for people who were abused and twisted. It’s for the darker side of society. It’s a trip – it’s better if you are on medication.
More U Q&A
Follow Uinterview on Twitter.
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Most Popular News
- Magic Johnson’s Gay Son EJ Johnson Takes Relationship Public
- ‘American Idol’ Recap: Angie Miller Says Goodbye
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann Get Fiesty
- Jennifer Lopez Films 'Live It Up' Music Video, Gunshots Fired During On Set Interview
- Angelina Jolie Has Double Mastectomy To Reduce Breast Cancer Risk, Shares Story
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV