Los Angeles by Flying Lotus
"Los Angeles," the first full-length release from Flying Lotus (Steven Ellison), is a blippy-er, squeaky-er follow-up to his 2006 release, "1983." You may have heard his sound (featured on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim segues), a loungy, low-key Nintendo timbre with a steady but lilting crackle-and-pop beat, and an unmistakable influence from hip-hop producer J Dilla (also Adult Swim). While this was the story for much of "1983," the second to last track, "Unexpected Delight," was suggestively different from the rest, presenting a music-box melody with wispy Stereolab-like vocals. With "Los Angeles," Ellison takes measured departure from producers Dilla and Madlib, and joins the ranks of other electronic music notables released on Warp Records. The album's loosely meted maneuvers are set against a distinct (and very current) digital backdrop that's thickly textured, but rarely crowded, and nostalgic of analog warmth.
Danielle Panabaker's Top Pop Picks
"I'm really into the Avett Brothers as of late."
"My girlfriends are I - we are very nerdy. We started a book club and the first book we read was Gone Girl."
"I thought it was a great film and I thought Jennifer Lawrence was incredible, you know those angry tears, I've certainly experienced that."
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV