U.S. Olympic Sprinter Sanya Richards-Ross 'Can't Imagine' Life Outside Of USA
It has been a long four years for U.S. Olympic runner Sanya Richards-Ross. Expected by many to win gold in the 400-meter race in Beijing 2008, Richards-Ross instead took home the bronze medal. A year earlier, she would be diagnosed with Behcet’s disease, an autoimmune illness with effects such as skin lesions and painful sores in and around the mouth. Her training was cut back before and after the 2008 Olympics to allow her to recuperate. Fortunately, Richards-Ross learned last year that she had been misdiagnosed and had a skin disease more treatable than Behcet’s. Taking a less aggressive regimen of medication, she came to London with better health and more energy. On Aug. 5, Richards-Ross finally won gold in the 400-meter, overcoming years of disease, doubt and disappointment. Richards-Ross, who was born in Jamaica and came to the United States when she was 12, is thrilled to represent her adopted country. “It means a lot to me because I feel the United States has given me so many opportunities, I just can’t imagine my life if I hadn’t moved here. I’ve been given a chance to go to the University of Texas, to work with some of the best coaches, to have amazing physios, meet my husband, just so many things have happened for me in this amazing country,” she tells Uinterview in our exclusive video. “So it’s just my thrill and my pleasure to be able to give back, and to wear that USA across my chest it just means so much to me."
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- Why ‘Man of Steel’ Didn’t Use ‘Superman’ in the Title - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV