VIDEO: Matt Lauer Will Not Be Leaving NBC's 'Today'
Where is Matt Lauer? Right where he belongs. Lauer told his many loyal viewers on Friday that he is staying on as host of NBC's Today, putting a stop to speculation that he would leave the highly ranked morning show once his contract ended this year. “This is my family,” Lauer said amid applause from co-workers. “I love this job, I love working with you guys,” he added.
"It's either you or Keith Olbermann," weather man Al Roker joked to uproarious laughter.
Rumors about Lauer's future began to swirl last year, with hints being dropped that American Idol host Ryan Seacrest was being courted for a spot on Today. Seacrest announced earlier this week that he had struck a deal with NBC Universal to be part of NBC’s Summer Olympics coverage and would continue working with E!.
Today, long the number one morning news show, has been in a ratings battle with ABC's Good Morning America, as the NBC show has steadily lost its strong lead in recent years. Katie Couric, formerly Lauer's co-anchor on Today, guest-hosted her former ABC rival this past week and helped GMA take the number one slot for the first (and second) time, according to the Washington Post. Just 119,000 viewers separated the two show, with GMA scoring more viewers than Today on Tuesday and Friday.
Watch the video here:
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- Cassadee Pope Performs ‘Wasting All These Tears’ On ‘The Voice’ [VIDEO]
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
- Clive Owen Video Interview On 'Shadow Dancer,' Playing An MI-5 Agent