VIDEO: Madonna Speaks Out Against Bullying
It's sort of like the ultimate "It Gets Better" ad. For all those oppressed by bullies, never fear, so was Madonna.
"I never felt like I fit in at school. I wasn't a jock, I wasn't an intellectual. There was never a group I felt like I fit in with. I was a weirdo," the pop goddess, 52, said on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. "I'm incredibly disturbed and saddened by the overwhelming number of teen suicides that have been reported lately because of bullying. Suicide in general is disturbing, but to hear that teenagers are taking their lives because they are being bullied in schools and dormitories, what have you, is kind of unfathomable."
The singer went even further, passionately comparing the plight of LGBT youth to prior historical atrocities. "The concept that we are torturing teenagers because they are gay–it's unfathomable," she said. "It's like lynching black people or Hitler exterminating Jews. Sorry if I'm going on a rampage right now, but this is America. The land of the free and the home of the brave."
She also credited the LGBT community with her success. "The gay community has been incredibly supportive of me," she said. "I wouldn't have a career if it weren't for the gay community." Her idea for a fix? "I think it would be interesting for everybody to try one simple experiment: Try to get through the day ... without gossiping about somebody," she said. "And not only that, not even listening to gossip, walking away from it. Can you imagine what your day would be like? How much more free time you'd have? I also feel like you'd feel about better about yourself." –AMY LEE
Watch the full interview below:
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- Cassadee Pope Performs ‘Wasting All These Tears’ On ‘The Voice’ [VIDEO]
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic
- Clive Owen Video Interview On 'Shadow Dancer,' Playing An MI-5 Agent