VIDEO: Cyndi Lauper Flubs Lyrics To National Anthem
Oh dear, Cyndi. That wasn’t much fun, was it girls? Following Christina Aguilera’s painfully awkward rendition of the "The Star-Spangled Banner" at this year’s Super Bowl, cult eighties pop-star Cyndi Lauper picked up the resulting fumble at the semi-finals of the US Open on Saturday only to be tackled hard by an inexplicable loss of memory when it came to the lyrics.
Lauper, best know for breezy pop smash "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and the tearjerker balled "Time After Time" becomes the latest member inducted into a small but prestigious fellowship – failing to remember the words to arguably one of the most well-known songs in the country, having been asked to sing it in front of a few tens of thousands of people. Fellow members include such music icons as Steven Tyler, Michael Bolton and Patti Labelle, to name but a few.
Lauper’s musical mishap is not the most egregious butchering of the sacred song we’ve ever heard — instead of the line, “O’er the ramparts we watch’d were so gallantly streaming” — we instead got, “O’er the ramparts, we watched as our flag was still streaming.” It must come as a major embarrassment to anyone who is supposed to be, you know, good at this sort of thing. The semi-final match was eventually won by defending champion Serena Williams, who went on to lose in the final to Australian Samantha Stosur.
Watch it here:
Most Popular News
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Adrien Brody Video Interview On Judging The Bombay Sapphire Imagination Film Series, Playing Houdini
- Thandie Newton Video Interview On 'Rogue,' Learning To Shoot A Gun
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Kevin Smith Video Interview On His New Book, 'Tough Sh*t,' Mitt Romeny, Bruce Willis
Top Comedy Videos
Sex & Sci-Fi: Summer's Hottest Movies & Men - Your Tango
- Celebrity Sex Talk: 6 Craziest Things Heard This Week - Your Tango
- ‘Spring Breakers’ Review: The 10 Most Depraved, Parent-Shocking Moments - MovieFone
- 10 Hot Hollywood Husbands Changing The World - Your Tango
- Taylor Swift Cozying Up With Harry Styles - PlanetFashionTV