U.S. Olympic Goalkeeper Hope Solo Fails Drug Test, Issued Warning
Hope Solo, 30, the United States Olympic goalkeeper who appeared almost nude in last year's ESPN The Magazine's "Body Issue" and also had a formidable stint on ABC's Dancing with the Stars, got in some hot water with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency when she tested positive for a diuretic drug called Canrenone, which is considered a banned substance for Olympic consideration.
Solo was issued a public warning for testing positive for Canrenone, the agency said on Monday, according to NBC News. Solo got off so light, without being suspended from the upcoming London Olympic Games, due to her explanation for having the drug in her system and her cooperation with the Anti-Doping Agency during the investigation.
"I took a medication prescribed by my personal doctor for pre-menstrual purposes that I did not know contained a diuretic," Solo said in a statement released on Monday through U.S. Soccer. "Once informed of this fact, I immediately cooperated with USADA and shared with them everything they needed to properly conclude that I made an honest mistake, and that the medication did not enhance my performance in any way."
Solo added: "As someone who believes in a clean sport, I am glad to have worked with USADA to resolve this matter and I look forward to representing my country at the 2012 Olympic Games in London."
U.S. Soccer also cooperated fully with the USADA and released a statement in support of Solo.
For more on Hope Solo and the 2012 London Olympic Games:
Most Popular News
- 'Game Of Thrones' Recap: Robb Stark, Talisa, Catelyn Murdered At The Red Wedding
- Victoria Beckham & Son Brooklyn Beckham Attend Glamour Women Of The Year Awards
- ‘Diana’ Biopic Teaser Trailer With Naomi Watts Is Released
- Heidi Klum, Martin Kristen Run & Make Up After Public Spat
- Michael Keaton Suits Up For ‘Birdman’
Most Popular Videos
- Jane Lynch And Craig Robinson Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- George Lopez Video Interview On 'Escape From Planet Earth'
- Dylan O'Brien Video Interview On 'The Internship,' Google, Vince Vaughn
- Clive Owen Video Interview On 'Shadow Dancer,' Playing An MI-5 Agent
- Dave Franco & Isla Fisher Video Interview On 'Now You See Me,' Magic